Buying a new table saw

Pwalter5110

This is my first post so bare with me. I am EXTREMELY new to woodworking and looking to buy a half decent table saw. I actually had bought the craftsman 21833 (big mistake) I spent forever trying to adjust my miter slots parallel to the blade with no luck. There isn't enough adjustment in the trunions, so I am taking that back. LOL But I was at Lowes the other day and seen a Porter Cable pcb270ts. and Also like the Ridgid R4512. My biggest worry about the Ridgid is the fact that it looks identical to the craftsman I am taking back. Has anyone here used either of these two saws? And what would your suggestion be?

Wow the rigid and the craftsman do look alike. The Ridgid is a 13amp motor. The porter cable is a 15amp motor and they are both direct drive. My concern is that if you did not like the craftsman you probably won't like anything else in the same class. Maybe it is time to consider a belt drive saw.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw-with-Riving-Knife-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0715P

I can't think of any other competitors this morning. For a little more you can step into a much more powerful saw.

Chad, I was looking at the grizzly, but to be completely honest. It's a little out of my price range. I do this strictly as a hobby, and another two- three hundred is just a little more than I was looking to spend. Also, I just bought the craftsman 3 days ago, I didn't get a chance to use it to actually make a cut. I spent about 4 hours trying to get the miter slots parallel and there just isn't enough adjustment. I am about 3/32 out of parallel. I am hoping that either the ridgid or the porter cable will work for me. I just don't know which is a better saw.

Chad, I was looking at the grizzly, but to be completely honest. It's a little out of my price range. I do this strictly as a hobby, and another two- three hundred is just a little more than I was looking to spend. Also, I just bought the craftsman 3 days ago, I didn't get a chance to use it to actually make a cut. I spent about 4 hours trying to get the miter slots parallel and there just isn't enough adjustment. I am about 3/32 out of parallel. I am hoping that either the ridgid or the porter cable will work for me. I just don't know which is a better saw.

That is fair enough. We all have a budget. Do some googling and see if the rigid and the craftsman are the same. If they are you might go with PC. It is possible that you just got a hold of a bad saw. 3/32 is unacceptable. Once you get them squared up I don't think you could tell a difference to be honest.

If budget is tight and you have patience, you can monitor Craig's List or similar for a while and try to pick up a used saw for a fraction of what a new one costs. Better to buy a good used saw than a crappy cheap new one.

I upgraded to a sawstop a couple years ago and unloaded my Delta 34-444 with Biesemeyer fence and mobile base for $200.

If budget is tight and you have patience, you can monitor Craig's List or similar for a while and try to pick up a used saw for a fraction of what a new one costs. Better to buy a good used saw than a crappy cheap new one.

I upgraded to a sawstop a couple years ago and unloaded my Delta 34-444 with Biesemeyer fence and mobile base for $200.

$ 200 for that saw, I'd say someone got one heck of a good deal unless you never took care of it and it was almost a basket case. A Delta Contractor's saw with the less desirable Jetlock fence and without a mobile base is worth about $225 - $250. If your saw was in any decent shape at all I'd say with the Biesemeyer fence and mobile base that it was easily worth $475 or more.

On the 21833, you will find that if you back off the screws that hold the stops for the 90 and 45 degree blade angles, you will get a lot more adjustment to get the blade parallel to the miter slots. You can then set up the blade angle stops where you want them. There is a long discussion over on lumberjocks.com that talks about this. I have the 21833 and this did make a big difference. My saw is adjusted dead on and only time there is a problem making a good cut is when I mess up.

The ridgid and the craftsman are the same saw. I like the ridgid saws that were made before the last couple of models. I've heard a lot of bad things about the saws with the stamped sheet metal extension tables.

I second the call to buy used. I buy all my equipment used these days and I save a lot of money doing it. The quality level of a lot of the older machines is better then what is being offered new today from manufacturers getting their equipment from overseas. If you are interested in buying a used machine I or other folks can give you some pointers for what to look for when you go to buy it.

As for buying detla because it is made in america. Well hate to burst the bubble but Delta is owned by an asian company, has been for years. All the parts for their saws are made overseas, have been for years and they just get bolted together in america (sometimes). Some folks (marketing people) say that means its "made" in america. Personally I think if every part comes from somewhere else then it can not possibly be made in america.

As for buying detla because it is made in america. Well hate to burst the bubble but Delta is owned by an asian company, has been for years. All the parts for their saws are made overseas, have been for years and they just get bolted together in america (sometimes). Some folks (marketing people) say that means its "made" in america. Personally I think if every part comes from somewhere else then it can not possibly be made in america.

The Delta saw model numbers that I gave are Made in the USA saws, plus there are earlier numbers that go into the Rockwell years also. As far as I know the new Delta Unisaw is made in the USA, and I think all of their equipment that has an X at the end of the model number, and or labeled as X5. Your not bursting my bubble, I know exactly where the Delta 34-444 that I own came from, the USA, I bought it brand new in 1995. I think that the start of the imported Delta Contractor's saws was with the 36-977, 36-978, 36-979, 36-980, Contractor's saws, after that I think Delta quit offering Contractor's table saws. If in doubt when looking for a used saw, if it has the original motor and the motor plate says Made in the USA, the chances are very good that the saw itself was also Made in the USA. If you think that the Ridgid's are better then the Delta's, your sadly mistakein, I don't even think that the Powermatic 64 is as good as the Delta's.

I just had time to read a bit more of this. Someone above seems to imply that the r4512 is not belt drive. I do not know if this is true, but the 21833 is most definitely belt drive, so if the 4512 and 21833 are the same, then the 4512 would be belt drive also.

My mistake they both have a small belt drive system. I was thinking of a different saw.

Alright everyone, I took a lot of your advice and started checking out craigslist. I found a Delta unisaw that the guy is asking $700 for. $700 is a little more than I want to spend (or shall I say my wife will let me spend LOL) But I am going to post the link, and wondering if you all can let me know what you think of it. And if its fair to offer him the $600 I have saved for a saw. Also can this saw run of 110 and 220v? or is it strictly 220v. Either way here is the link

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2338890090.html

You don't want that import crap. Look for a used American made Contractor's table saw. A Delta 34-444, 36-505X, 36-507X, etc. with a Unifence or Biesemeyer fence. or a Powermatic 64 with a Biesemeyer fence.

Isn't the PM64 made in Taiwan....similar to the GI 50-185, Jet, Grizzly G0576, Bridgewood, and others?

Alright everyone, I took a lot of your advice and started checking out craigslist. I found a Delta unisaw that the guy is asking $700 for. $700 is a little more than I want to spend (or shall I say my wife will let me spend LOL) But I am going to post the link, and wondering if you all can let me know what you think of it. And if its fair to offer him the $600 I have saved for a saw. Also can this saw run of 110 and 220v? or is it strictly 220v. Either way here is the link

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2338890090.html

It is most likely 220v. Where are the fence and rails? Is every single nut and bolt there? probably not Its not that the saw is not worth the money, but that saw is a project in itself. It may be all there and pop right together, or it may nickel and dime you to death.

If you are looking for a saw to put together, tune, and cut in a few hours that is not it.

• Like 1

Isn't the PM64 made in Taiwan....similar to the GI 50-185, Jet, Grizzly G0576, Bridgewood, and others?

I think that some of the 64's were made in the USA, unless you can prove me wrong. The 62's are even older and are for sure made in the USA.

Looking through the first page of Pittsburgh CL ads, this SAW looks like your best bet. I had a similar saw (can't read the model number) for a number of years and it is a great saw.

It amazes me when people put up equipment for sale and don't take a little bit of effort to atleast dust it off, clean it up and make it look good. I'd offer the guy $400 because he's too lazy to dust it, and doesn't show the top which is probably rusty, and whats with the yellow paint ? To me it looks like a 36-505X, or a 36-507X which were American made saws.

It amazes me when people put up equipment for sale and don't take a little bit of effort to atleast dust it off, clean it up and make it look good. I'd offer the guy $400 because he's too lazy to dust it, and doesn't show the top which is probably rusty, and whats with the yellow paint ? To me it looks like a 36-505X, or a 36-507X which were American made saws.

At least the pictures are pretty clear. To the OP, make sure that the saw runs smoothly (judge by the sound) and that the top isn't pitted with rust. Surface rust can be cleaned and should decrease the value (good for you).

Looking through the first page of Pittsburgh CL ads, this SAW looks like your best bet. I had a similar saw (can't read the model number) for a number of years and it is a great saw.

That's more like it. Excellent contractor saw. I think it is pre x series saw, but I could be wrong. Lowe's sold these in early 2000's. It would have been in the $650+ range new. Not that it matters, you can not buy a new contractor saw like that for $600 anymore.