Most Important tool in your Shop

zabo

Hi Guys and Gals

What is the most important tool in your shop? Is it the tablesaw, or the planer, chop saw? No it's patience,patience, patience. A little story. I was just finishing up on a nice little mahogany tray all the box joints came out very nice the color was nice and it was sanded almost ready for finish. All I had left was to round over the edges. I could have done this with a block plane very easly but NOOOO I had to get in a hurry and use my router table. Everything was going good untill I came to the handle and the router bit bearing went inside of the handle and you can figure out the rest. Needless to say I'll be starting another tray. So sometimes handtools are faster.

ZABO

Nah, I'd say my ear muffs and eye protection, maybe my respirator too. I can mess up projects all day long, I'd just rather not mess up myself.

Yeah, I agree with you but I think safty is a given. Don't even think about it just do it. Should be the first thing to do. By the way I'm pertty much of an expert on fixing screw ups don't know why.

ZABO

Since it is my shop and everyone will agree I'm a tool, I'd have to say I'M the most important tool in my shop ;o). Plus, I've seen high end shops produce crap and budget shops produce really nice pieces. So ultimately, the person who designs and executes a piece is the best or worst tool in the shop.

Although safety gear is very important I like the idea of patience. I too have had a project go smoothly until the very end and wind up ruining the project and the finish. I have to tell myself to slow down or walk away. Let that finish dry a little more before applying the next coat.

Since it is my shop and everyone will agree I'm a tool, I'd have to say I'M the most important tool in my shop ;o). Plus, I've seen high end shops produce crap and budget shops produce really nice pieces. So ultimately, the person who designs and executes a piece is the best or worst tool in the shop.

Ditto, Well said Vic

The router is the best tool in my shop. I've used it for pretty much every task, including ones where I should have used something else. I've used it for tasks where handtools would have taken weeks.

Only close second is the table saw, and my router's a lot better than my saw for fine woodworking.

Thats a good point! I see many tool snobs ripping on people for their choice of inexpensive tools, but the snobs produce only junk (and trying to brag about it) and the people with modest tools producing works of art...

:blink:

I see that the most important tool in your shop needs to the Victool , it ripps, it crosscuts, it dovetails, it even does turning. There is not many jobs this tool can't do! The Victool is the tool to have and hey we are selling it for a much lower price than ever before because even so it is a great tool have you actually looked at the Victool-I am thinkng a big ugle sale!! :blink: Just messing around, just be thankfull you don't look like that Marctool! Laughter aside you bringing up a great point, the tools dont do the work they help get the work done. Great job on bringing that to light, I get tired of people with no experince thinking that if they had my tools they could build anythng I build:lol: Yep that's like saying "If I had a bunch of PC's, 2 bottle rockets, and access to cape canaveral I could be NASA!! Yep it takes many types of poeple to make the world go round, some are here to speed us up, while the others are dead weight to slowus down!

Nate

:blink:

I see that the most important tool in your shop needs to the Victool , it ripps, it crosscuts, it dovetails, it even does turning. There is not many jobs this tool can't do! The Victool is the tool to have and hey we are selling it for a much lower price than ever before because even so it is a great tool have you actually looked at the Victool-I am thinkng a big ugle sale!! :blink: Just messing around, just be thankfull you don't look like that Marctool! Laughter aside you bringing up a great point, the tools dont do the work they help get the work done. Great job on bringing that to light, I get tired of people with no experince thinking that if they had my tools they could build anythng I build:lol: Yep that's like saying "If I had a bunch of PC's, 2 bottle rockets, and access to cape canaveral I could be NASA!! Yep it takes many types of poeple to make the world go round, some are here to speed us up, while the others are dead weight to slowus down!

Nate

All sold out and discontinued. :)