Suggestion For The Next Guild Build!

thewoodwhisperer

Hey there Guildies. As we near the end of the Chest of Drawers project, its time to start thinking about the next Guild Build. So far we've made a Shaker Table, which I would classify as a medium-sized project. And now we have a Chest of Drawers, which I think of as a large project. So how about something small this time? I'm not going to offer any suggestions myself since I don't want to sway any opinions. Feel free to post pictures, plans, or simply a description. If we luck out and find a project that already has a good quality plan, that sure makes things easier for us. We can always modify it to our liking.

Let's hear it!

I think, instead of deciding on the next project, we should maybe make some sort of list of 'favourites'. Then at the end of each project, we can vote on which one gets picked next. Or if that's putting it too much out of your control, then you choose from the list?

Otherwise we're going to have the same suggestions each time.

I like small stuff, so boxes or some sort of small wall cabinet would be cool.

I haven't been able to play along with the previous two builds because of my lack of tools, but I hope I can afford something by the 3rd build.

I too would like a Box project.

Boxes are great projects. They can be used to refine skills, but also be used to introduce new users to the craft. Bois has a number of great videos on making a box, but it wouldn't hurt to have more.

It can be made as a regular box, jewelry box, maybe even a tool box, a parts box, or any sort of box that's boxy... you know, with 5 sides and possibly a top?

I'm personally in need of a chest-like storage unit for organizing some small electronic parts and some of my other non-wood tools (screw driver, hammer, etc.). Making a box in the next project, combined with what I've learned from the Chest of Drawers project should be all that's needed (more or less) to build it. A small wall-hanging cabinet would also work nicely, though I feel it would be too similar of a project to the shop wall cabinet project.. just a bit prettier. But hey, if it explores different techniques it might be a nice project.

In either case, like HavenTom said we should compile a list of everything suggested -- in this thread and outside -- and later hold a poll to select something. The new Forums software easily allows adding a poll. The winner of the poll would be the next project, and the remaining items will stay on the list until selected for the next project, etc.

-robodude666

EDIT:

Ben H, keep in mind not all of us have a large shop, work area, storage area, or easy access to lumber. Some of us live in an area where getting lumber requires a lot of travel, which may be very difficult. Some of us don't have a dedicated area for storing lumber, and some of us don't have a huge work areas.

I live in NYC and personally will be working out of a small 7 x 4' porch when I acquire tools with nearly no place for storing lumber in my bedroom. For some of us, small projects might be the only things physically possible.

Hey there Guildies. As we near the end of the Chest of Drawers project, its time to start thinking about the next Guild Build. So far we've made a Shaker Table, which I would classify as a medium-sized project. And now we have a Chest of Drawers, which I think of as a large project. So how about something small this time? I'm not going to offer any suggestions myself since I don't want to sway any opinions. Feel free to post pictures, plans, or simply a description. If we luck out and find a project that already has a good quality plan, that sure makes things easier for us. We can always modify it to our liking.

Let's hear it!

I'm always up for building a clock! There are easy builds and more advanced level builds.

• Like 1

There are so many places on the net to get tutorials on how to build small boxes that I'd rather see something a little different here. I really like the idea of a wall cabinet since it contains many elements and techniques that are used on a host of different projects both large and small.

Of course, the gadget station was a wall cabinet, wasn't it?

Still, I think it would be a fun project that could lead to some Christmas presents being made. :)

I think it should be something that would make a good Christmas present. High end or low end, it doesn't make a difference.

What I see happening is that with each guild project, we will trying to come up with another project. At sometime we will end up running out of ideas, and that fewer and fewer members will want to participate. I find that this usually what ends up happening. Not everyone needed a new Chest of Drawers, so those members didn't participate. This will happen over and over again, I haven't any idea as to getting around the situation.

Just had a thought, get everyone on Lumberjocks.com to become a member, and then there will always be enough people to participate. Just kidding, I don't know how many members it take to make a project worthwhile, maybe only 5 is necessary, because with each video that comes from the build is more knowledge about wood, and how to master it, so maybe it doesn't really matter how many participate.

Guess I will quit babbling, and end this, although I do love Greene and Greene, Stickley, and F. L Wright styling.

Let's see .. a filing cabinet. I need a more substantial end table than the last shaker table. Something like below. I need to do a desk too, but after the COD .. or I should say in the midst of it .. my tongue is hangin' ..it's a pretty big project. I'd like something smaller.

A fun Christmas project. Something that will help you get good on the band saw ..similar to the previous box suggestions. That counts as my small project suggestion, which I would whole hearty support.

post-69-079738400 1282517675_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of getting a list of favorites. Then we can try to knock those out first. But eventually, I think I will have to start picking most of the projects, narrowing it down to a small list, and letting people vote that way. With voting alone, I doubt we'll cover the variety of projects I am hoping to.

And as far as size goes, there are a lot of folks who don't have room for these larger projects. So I do want to be sensitive to that. Also consider that the Chest of Drawers score card is projected to be 12 videos in 10 weeks. I am honestly not sure I can pull that off three times a year, :). So if for no other reason than my own sanity, we'll need to shake things up a bit by having some variety in size and complexity.

I like the idea of something small-ish (say shaker table size or smaller). The larger pieces seem nice, but unless I need one of whatever the build is at a certain time, I'm probably not going to build it. Something smaller I can always find a place for.

I like jewelry box myself.

Oh and I said I didn't want to give my opinion because it might influence others....but a wall-hanging cabinet would actually be a great project since I need to design one for a future class at the William Ng school. A class that will likely run $600-$800. Makes a Guild membership seem like a bargain eh? ;)

Let's hear it!

I vote for a Greene & Greene style wall shelf. I was asked to make the Greene & Greene mirror for the bathroom above the sink. She is remodeling the whole house. Then she asked for a wall shelf the width of the tank and about 6" deep.

I looked on the internet and found a Robert Lang Book "Shop Drawings for Greene & Greene Furniture: 23 American Arts and Crafts Masterpieces." It is on Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Drawings-Greene-Furniture-Masterpieces/dp/1892836297/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b#_

Click on the book and look at the Gamble Chiffonier inside the book on page 46.

I was thinking of taking the style from the top of the Gamble Chiffonier and modifying it for use as a wall shelf.

Thoughts anybody?

I prefer a smaller project due to cost and avalibilty of material in my area....I bought the Chest of drawers kit, but it will be awhile before I can spend that kind of money again. I like the box or hanging cabinet idea...I would like to see some of the interlocking joinery you showed us during your drawer presentation. Something we can focus more on details, or on a techniques for a specific tool...for those of us that have to drive 2 hours just to see a demo, much less actually see how the tool is used in practicallity. I am sure a smaller project may not be as intimidating as a larger one for us amateurs, and would actually be easier for us to afford the lumber, or the odd tool we might need to complete the project. But than again what do I know....I am just a dumb Jarhead!

Semper Fi,

Randy Sr

Let's see .. a filing cabinet. I need a more substantial end table than the last shaker table. Something like below. I need to do a desk too, but after the COD .. or I should say in the midst of it .. my tongue is hangin' ..it's a pretty big project. I'd like something smaller.

A fun Christmas project. Something that will help you get good on the band saw ..similar to the previous box suggestions. That counts as my small project suggestion, which I would whole hearty support.

Marilyn from Seattle: if you want a great exercise on the bandsaw try making some bandsaw boxes. They are quick and easy to make and make really great gifts. Plus you only need the bandsaw and a sander. I just put together a PowerPoint on the steps to make bandsaw boxes which would be to large to post here but I can email it to you if you want. Take warning they do become addictive :)Bruce. I am just learning to make these myself. I have made 3 of them now, but they are fun!

post-70-080607200 1282521009_thumb.jpg

post-70-031008500 1282521034_thumb.jpg

post-70-046849100 1282521073_thumb.jpg

post-70-094822800 1282521092_thumb.jpg