Suggestion For The Next Guild Build!

thewoodwhisperer

Building a small box or set of boxes would be great... a great learning project and can be used for gifts. I would recommend a series of boxes that fit one into another... using different methods for joining the sides (i.e., mitered with splines, glue lock joint, etc...). Also one with a cool inlay would add that little something extra.

My 2 cents!

I think TWW's take on a Pennsylvania spice box (maybe a more modern re-imagining?) would be a cool project, with a lot of small drawers and a secret compartment. Not sure if this would be too complex for a build along project, though.

Dave

I've had a spice box on my list for quite some time now. This can be a great project to build some skills, and isn't too big or expensive to be prohibitive (although the lumber selection could certainly move the needle on this). There are quite a few options to tweak the degree of difficulty, such as inlay, dovetails, secret compartments, etc. Maybe as a guild project it would finally get me over the hump on this project.

I'd be all for a wall cabinet. Each person can vary it to their own needs. Large or small. Doors or not. Drawers or not.

I must say that I agree with the previous statement about small boxes. Though they may not have that Wood Whisperer flair, you can pick up tons of free info on the web about building boxes. Let's keep the guild for unique projects.

PS. I'd also be up for a bed in the future!

Here are some ideas that have sketchup drawings:

2. Shaker Hanging Cabinets

3. Dovetail Silverware Tray

4. Military Writing Desk

5. Greene and Greene Medicine Cabinet

6. Portable Writing Desk

These are some things that have been on my list for while. I am not recommending that we do an exact copy of one of these, but perhaps one is a good starting place for our next guild build.

I would have to say that the number one item on my list is to make a copy of Jefferson's Writing Desk that he wrote the Declaration of Independence on. I have not been able to find a sketchup model for it yet.

Marilyn from Seattle: if you want a great exercise on the bandsaw try making some bandsaw boxes. They are quick and easy to make and make really great gifts. Plus you only need the bandsaw and a sander. I just put together a PowerPoint on the steps to make bandsaw boxes which would be to large to post here but I can email it to you if you want. Take warning they do become addictive :)

Addictive .. I like it!! Good suggest .. christmas gifts AND band saw practise! :P

On my list now, I have two beds, and the Wood Magazine backhoe and bulldozer. I am sure there is more, but I have forgotten most of them. A wall hanging cabinet would be good, but since I just joined the guild in the middle of a few other projects, any build alongs will have to wait.

I know David Marks did a show on hand made planes, but I think that would be a cool project.

I guess my question to Marc is how many videos do you want to produce for the next project? Something small and quick or something small and detailed?

Hey there Guildies. As we near the end of the Chest of Drawers project, its time to start thinking about the next Guild Build. So far we've made a Shaker Table, which I would classify as a medium-sized project. And now we have a Chest of Drawers, which I think of as a large project. So how about something small this time? I'm not going to offer any suggestions myself since I don't want to sway any opinions. Feel free to post pictures, plans, or simply a description. If we luck out and find a project that already has a good quality plan, that sure makes things easier for us. We can always modify it to our liking.

Let's hear it!

How about a small single wine box to bring to a party instead of the boring bag to give to the hosts. It could have a slide top or hinged. maybe wooden hinges. Feet? Handles? Dovetails? Rounded ends? Many variations. Something everyone could afford!!!!! Of course My wife has been after me to make her a large wine cabinet with bottom wine rack middle drawer under open shelf to open the bottles then overhead glass storage. I have a couple of plans but not the testicle fortitude to move forward with it!!!!!!!

but a wall-hanging cabinet would actually be a great project ...

I like the idea of a wall-hanging cabinet - maybe something small that would be able to display precious keep-sakes - if straight forward enough could be Christmas presents for the family.

I like the 'smallish' idea too and the idea of a wall cabinet is appealing.....perhaps ala Krenov? Could be designed so that it could have optins to hang or stand.

Another idea, but may be too complex, is some instruction on chair building....with steaming and all that. um, maybe not.

Marc,

This spring I took a 10 week woodworking class at Homestead Woodworking School in NH. My goal was to try some joinery I had not done before and learn to use hand tools to finesse the fit. So I made a small wall cabinet like suggested by someone else. It's 25 1/2" tall, 16 " wide and 6 1/4 deep. It's made out off 3/4" Cherry with a 1/4" Paduck back. The carcass is joined using both sliding dovetails and dadoes. The face frame features mortise & tenons. The door frame is made using haunch-ed tenons and the panel was raised by hand with a smoothing plane and rabbit plane. The only mechanical fasteners used are brass screws to hold on the back and a few pin nails holding the molding around the top.

Hope this sparks some ideas.

Bob

post-1263-053073700 1282526190_thumb.jpg

Following the idea of creating a short list of projects and the concept that they should be small projects here is my go at it:

1. Jewelery box requiring some out of the ordinary skills

2. Fancy storage box for silverware with divided drawers and maybe some inlay work

3. Mantle clock

4. Reproduction civil war field writing desk that folds - requiring numerous hinge mortises

5. Spice cabinet

I like the idea of a box of some sort. Maybe jewelry box that 8 year old granddaughters would like. Necklaces, a few rings, pins...

I'm personally not in favor of a hanging cabinet. We've seen a few of those -- like the charging station, and I think we recently had a tool storage cabinet.

Marc,

I see a lot of posts for boxes ... how about a variety of small boxes in a series of videos. 1 box in each video for holiday gifts.

A list of possibilities (mostly a compilation from above):

1. A bandsaw box or 2;

2. A box with a sliding lid (for a bottle of wine);

3. A well-detailed jewelry box (possibly 2 videos or more);

4. A humidor;

5. A more generic box.

You could use various joinery techniques ... I think this would spark some of our own design ideas into making our own boxes.

Chuck