Suggestion For The Next Guild Build!

thewoodwhisperer

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, and a Viking longship. That'd be a fun summer camp group build. Or perhaps a large wooden rabbit.

Already got one.

And Paul-Marcel, I like the idea of a chair with ebonized wood and carbonized metal accents... Perhaps acid or chemical etching... maybe some electro etching.... brass with etching tied in with brass tacks and hardware....

If I wasn't saving up to buy that Guild membership at the end of February (Fair Warning, all! :) ), I'd start getting supplies for the chair now...

Okay dumb question coming from the ignorant guy in Iowa.

Does the guild have to build furniture or gifts? Can the guild do a shop project?

I'm thinking a crosscut sled

or a Miter saw station

or a router table?

Tool cabinet

workbench etc....

How about a block plane? I've always heard that the block plane to a woodworker is like the light saber to a jedi. In order to actually become a woodworker you have to build your own.

Well, the last Guild Build was twelve videos, so I'm not sure that a crosscut sled would provide enough material. I think Marc likes to do "fine furniture" so that he can talk about aesthetics at the beginning and finishing at the end. Wood choice, grain matching, stuff like that.

On the other hand, the first Guild Build was a shop project, a wall hanging tool chest. "Only" five videos, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Marc. After you posted that link to the beautiful marquetry and inlay from http://inlay-arts.com/ I thought that would be a great guild build where you could have a section on implementing marquetry into a piece of furniture. I've always wanted to learn how to do marquetry and being able to do a little marquetry into my furniture builds would be such a special touch to the entire furniture building process. This would allow each of us to put our personal flare into our own piece. And, for those who are not interesting in the Marquetry/Inlay part they can just build the furniture piece as is. Just a thought. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of a project based on "skills," I suggest a "techniques" guild build based on "knowledge" that can result in each member, and our esteemed host, making multiple projects for this guild build. What a guild build that would be, right? ALL of them different. Specifically, multi-sided projects drive me nuts. 45 and 22.5 degree miters are bad enough. But what if you want an 8-sided (or more sided) project? Say, a right-circular 1 foot high, six sided planter. What angle do you set for the bevels now? What if I want the base to be 6" across and the top to be 10" across? What are the corresponding compound angles needed? How do I cut the groove for a bottom on this? How do you clamp together such a beast for glue up? I bet we need miter splines to strengthen these joints. The ultimate end point for me would be having the "knowledge" to cut staves for an oak barrel such as a whiskey barrel (that has a seemingly endless number of sides and thicker at the middle than at the top or bottom) and the knowledge for clamping that beast together for glue up, cutting the top and bottom and the grooves to accept the top and bottoms, never mind the dimensions and rabbits needed on the top and bottom panels. Did I mention brass bands to strap the thing together?

This should allow us to take a compound miter saw to its absolute limits and make it beg for mercy. We can teach that tool a thing or two! This should allow us to take Incra measuring devices and miter gauges on a true test drive (did you ever hear them brag about the accuracy of their tools?)and really kick the tires on those suckers!

What do you say? Lets rev our woodworking skills up and taker them out for a spin. I can see multi-sided jewelry boxes, multi-sided picture frames where the outside edges stand proud from the wall, multi-sided planting pots, 5-sided frames for flags and a lot of other projects coming into our skill set. I know there are a lot of people out there smarter than I am and can envision projects using this knowledge that would blow everyone's socks right off! I cannot wait to tackle one of those projects.

What do you say? Lets go for it and get away from the "flat" 4-sided projects and launch our woodworking skills high and proud!

Workbench - even though I have a useable workbench inherited from a real woodworker, it is not up to the quality and functionality standards I'd like to have. I've got to build one but lack the skills and confidence to do it right. It needs the right clamping mechanisms, stability and craftsmanship. A GuildBuild would be great.

What a great idea! Rather than "lets all build the same thing together", make it "let's all build something using this technique or component or basic shape". It would still have to have some rough limits so people can have a few basic boundaries to work within but still be free to take it where they want to. I like the idea. If you wanted to follow Marc, then you could, but would be encouraged to spread your woodworking wings a bit more. Hell, if it doesn't work the next build could go back to the tried and true approach. It's worth a shot....

Instead of a project based on "skills," I suggest a "techniques" guild build based on "knowledge" that can result in each member, and our esteemed host, making multiple projects for this guild build. What a guild build that would be, right? ALL of them different. Specifically, multi-sided projects drive me nuts. 45 and 22.5 degree miters are bad enough. But what if you want an 8-sided (or more sided) project? Say, a right-circular 1 foot high, six sided planter. What angle do you set for the bevels now? What if I want the base to be 6" across and the top to be 10" across? What are the corresponding compound angles needed? How do I cut the groove for a bottom on this? How do you clamp together such a beast for glue up? I bet we need miter splines to strengthen these joints. The ultimate end point for me would be having the "knowledge" to cut staves for an oak barrel such as a whiskey barrel (that has a seemingly endless number of sides and thicker at the middle than at the top or bottom) and the knowledge for clamping that beast together for glue up, cutting the top and bottom and the grooves to accept the top and bottoms, never mind the dimensions and rabbits needed on the top and bottom panels. Did I mention brass bands to strap the thing together?

This should allow us to take a compound miter saw to its absolute limits and make it beg for mercy. We can teach that tool a thing or two! This should allow us to take Incra measuring devices and miter gauges on a true test drive (did you ever hear them brag about the accuracy of their tools?)and really kick the tires on those suckers!

What do you say? Lets rev our woodworking skills up and taker them out for a spin. I can see multi-sided jewelry boxes, multi-sided picture frames where the outside edges stand proud from the wall, multi-sided planting pots, 5-sided frames for flags and a lot of other projects coming into our skill set. I know there are a lot of people out there smarter than I am and can envision projects using this knowledge that would blow everyone's socks right off! I cannot wait to tackle one of those projects.

What do you say? Lets go for it and get away from the "flat" 4-sided projects and launch our woodworking skills high and proud!

I say let's all vote to kick momwow out of the guild for suggesting such a thing!! lol Just kidding!

My wife already says that I spend to much time in the shop. If I was to try and build a eight sided ANYTHING, I would probably explode and get a divorce.

I really like the idea of either a bed or a Perfectly designed Workbench.

• 2 weeks later...

Things that I would like to see you build:

Bent lam crib (like you mentioned)

Solid wood interior door with some interesting wood combinations or details

Grandfather clock (if people still have those)

Chairs for a dining table (the table is easy enough but I find chairs intimidating, but by all means, do a table too)

Rocking chair (maybe some bent wood lam there too).

Maybe a few others… but I can’t remember all of them right now..