Suggestion For The Next Guild Build!

thewoodwhisperer

I'm racking my brain to think of another project that throws a new skill in the mix. I've thought of backless bookshelves and how to calculate for sag and dead loads. I've also thought of a computer desk like your trestle table, but with a keyboard drawer and cable management. That adds in some elements of both M&T, planing large surfaces, and DT joints for drawers. Of course both of these are projects that I'm already considering so this list is a little self serving. :)

Of course a Roubo changing table would be nice too, I don't have one of those yet. Who knows, maybe I could hold some wood with it as well as an infant?

• 5 months later...

Here is something that you might want to think about Marc. Probably not a guild project but a "stocking filler".

My macbook was getting hot so I designed this clip together stand that you can pop in your laptop bag and take with you.

I am sure there is some fun you could have with this.

CC

post-6278-0-92430800-1328809168_thumb.jp

post-6278-0-60182100-1328809176_thumb.jp

post-6278-0-72561600-1328809182_thumb.jp

post-6278-0-51562800-1328809189_thumb.jp

Here is something that you might want to think about Marc. Probably not a guild project but a "stocking filler".

My macbook was getting hot so I designed this clip together stand that you can pop in your laptop bag and take with you.

I am sure there is some fun you could have with this.

CC

Thats a pretty neat design you came up with . Is the dark colored piece wood or something else ? What's the rough sizes of all the parts ? Thanks for posting and sharing the pics .

Regards

Jerry

Hi

Is it too late to join the guild and get in on the bench build?

Thanks - Ziggy

Hey Ziggy, it is never too late to join the guild. The videos will be available on the guild site for some time. THe plans and all will be available. I can not say about the lumber bundles and hardware delas though.

Thats a pretty neat design you came up with . Is the dark colored piece wood or something else ? What's the rough sizes of all the parts ? Thanks for posting and sharing the pics .

Regards

Jerry

Jerry

the dark bits are wood, just glued into some slots to stop the laptop sliding off.

size wise i thnk all you need to do is take the width and depth from the size of your laptop. mine are around 1/2" thick in maple 1" at the front rising to 2 1/2" at the back.

have fun with it

CC

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some ideas that have sketchup drawings:

2. Shaker Hanging Cabinets

3. Dovetail Silverware Tray

4. Military Writing Desk

5. Greene and Greene Medicine Cabinet

6. Portable Writing Desk

These are some things that have been on my list for while. I am not recommending that we do an exact copy of one of these, but perhaps one is a good starting place for our next guild build.

I would have to say that the number one item on my list is to make a copy of Jefferson's Writing Desk that he wrote the Declaration of Independence on. I have not been able to find a sketchup model for it yet.

I like all 5 of these suggestions!

TRADITIONAL TOOL CHEST

There is a Veritas plan out there which I based mine on.

There are an interesting mix of techniques

Whaddaya think?

CC

post-6278-0-81886000-1332333463_thumb.jppost-6278-0-12921100-1332333481_thumb.jp

I love this idea! It would be useful for the shop, look great, and has some new skills.

Maybe a build with some wood bending in it. There hasnt been much of that yet so it would be something new to learn.

Maybe some sort of chair? Im just putting ideas out there.

Mantle or Wall Clock

Guild has had a couple of large project builds recently, and it would be nice to have something that takes 10bf or less…

Further, cost could be managed at the individual level through selection of the movement – fairly inexpensive quartz reproduction of classic American or German movements, quartz w/ pendulum reproduction, modern mechanical reproduction, all the way to genuine antique w/ chimes. All movements can be deployed with little change to the case build. Clock could cost as little as $100 or as much as $1500 determined by the builder, not the build itself.

• 1 month later...

A vote for a chair, either a comfortable chair or a 'table' chair for use at a dining table. Folks could then do a 'set' of 2 or 4 or more depending on their needs.

If going for a comfortable chair, I would like one that could be 'broader' to match my 'wide part', and with a higher back, possibly a head rest (no, not for snoozing in the shop... but that is an idea!)

:)

I used to have a 'porters chair' that was great, but going with anything upholstered is beyond my desires. I liked it because it was unusual and uber-comfortable. The silver silk upholstery was not my thing though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a very selfish idea, I know, but I'd love to see a combined self-made router-table-saw... if you know what I mean. I'm planning on building myself one for the Festool OF 1400 and the TS 55 (as soon as I bought the latter ;)).

• 1 month later...