What's the Best Table Saw to Buy (for beginner)

rbbauer00

I appreciate the advice so far. As for the sawstop, their cabinet saw is $2900. My wife would cut my fingers off if I spent that much. I do find the contractor saw appealing. But I'd be losing the beefier motor and easier dust collection that I'd get with the cabinet. I'll say I'd rather have an awesome contractor saw than a crappy cabinet. As far as the quality of the saw, is the grizzly cabinet as good as the more expensive ones, or will I be better off with a high-end contractor saw and upgrade later?

Sorry, I had to respond. I had a minor encounter with my Delta contractors table saw and my wife insisted that I go out and buy one of those "stop saws" as she continues to call it. I had shown her ads and video demonstrations prior. I followed orders --no argument from me :)

Santa brought us a contractor's Sawstop which I love plus the two cast iron wings, dado blade and dado brake. We are very happy with.

SQ

Hi SQ,

For Christmas, my wife gave me a saw stop brochure and said "I am not sure which model you want, so pick whatever you like!". My wife is the best!!!!

While I would love a 3hp cabinet saw, I am leaning towards the contractor's saw, and using the money saved to go towards other tools. Is there anything you don't like about the contarctor's saw?

Thanks.

Hi SQ,

For Christmas, my wife gave me a saw stop brochure and said "I am not sure which model you want, so pick whatever you like!". My wife is the best!!!!

While I would love a 3hp cabinet saw, I am leaning towards the contractor's saw, and using the money saved to go towards other tools. Is there anything you don't like about the contarctor's saw?

Thanks.

WorkTheWood,

The Sawstop has exceeded our original expectations. It's also amazingly quiet.

SQ

Sorry, I had to respond. I had a minor encounter with my Delta contractors table saw and my wife insisted that I go out and buy one of those "stop saws" as she continues to call it. I had shown her ads and video demonstrations prior. I followed orders --no argument from me :)

That's funny...STOP Saw...so you show her adds and videos to seed the thinking...discuss deductibles on health insurance incase there is an accident, and the stop saw makes perfect sense! Hey, if I had the money I've spent in ER fees in the last 5 years, I could have bought TWO Stop saws. Minor stuff comparitively but if you glance at the ER its $1200.

I have the jet 10" pro with cast wings. I love this thing, it has no issues cutting 8/4 bubinga or wenge! The biggest thing for me with this saw is the fence, its dead on at the front and back of the table and has 0 wiggle once its locked down. I noticed playing with a Porter cable at Lowes how crappy their fence is (but maybe they just didn't set it up right). It cost me right around 1,000 not including shipping (was able to pick up myself from a local woodworking store) this would leave you 500 bucks to get another nice tool!

Good luck!

I have the jet 10" pro with cast wings. I love this thing, it has no issues cutting 8/4 bubinga or wenge! The biggest thing for me with this saw is the fence, its dead on at the front and back of the table and has 0 wiggle once its locked down. I noticed playing with a Porter cable at Lowes how crappy their fence is (but maybe they just didn't set it up right). It cost me right around 1,000 not including shipping (was able to pick up myself from a local woodworking store) this would leave you 500 bucks to get another nice tool!

Good luck!

i 2nd that!!! i ahve already posted once ont he post about my jet proshop. i was just working with purpleheart on some cutting boards and man this saw is awsome with the freud rip blade. if you do not have a jointer or planer yet u can have more money to spend. !!