Upcoming Changes to Guild Structure

thewoodwhisperer

I'll be the first to admit, change is hard. And oftentimes it's a serious pain in the posterior! So I will try to make this as simple and painless as possible, because a few fundamental changes are imminent. All of the details will be disclosed later. For now, I want to focus on the things that need fixing.

What's wrong with the current Guild setup?

• Your membership may expire before the end of a Guild Build. The only way to see the completion of the build is to renew your membership for a time that goes well beyond the project's completion date.
    • There is no guarantee you are going to like what I build. Admittedly, I have difficultly planning far enough ahead to give you advanced notice on future projects. In my opinion, this isn't fair. You should be able to know exactly what you're paying for.
      • If you are only interested in one particular project, you need to buy access to the entire archive. I think people should be able to buy access to whatever projects they are interested in.

• Once your membership is expired, you are locked out of the Guild site. I think people should be able to continue to access the project pages, even after their access to the videos expires. You may not need to watch the videos again, but you should be able to take part in the discussions indefinitely.
          • [*]Guild memberships are expensive! Personally, I think they are worth every penny. But the barrier to entry is quite high and I feel we need to come up with a way for more people to gain access to the Guild site without diminishing the value of what we offer and what you've already invested in.

[*]Inflexible scheduling. As it stands now, a Guild project can take as long as 6 months to plan, organize, and execute. So it becomes challenging to keep the free site and the Guild site going at the same time. I need a system that gives me the option to push things back if needed without taking away ANY value from you.

As many of you know, the last 12 months have been crazy for me and its only getting crazier. Nicole's very rough pregnancy ended when Mateo was born two months early. Just as we started to get control of things domestically, our website was hit with a massive DDOS attack (twice). Now our old house finally sold, and the shop is going with it. So I need to build a new shop ASAP. In other words, life happens. I need the new Guild setup to exist independently of my personal schedule. The new system will address this as well as all of the above issues.

The Next Guild Build

So you might be wondering what's going to happen with this Summer's Guild Build. Bottom line is I have to put it on hold until I have my shop situation figured out. But rest assured, anyone who would have had access to this build will still get access to it no matter when it occurs. That's part of the beauty of the new system.

In the coming weeks, I will give you more information about the specifics of this change. For now, I wanted to focus only on big picture stuff so you know what's coming and what's happening with the next Guild Build. Thanks for being Guild members and continuing to support the "New Woodworking Revolution"!

Please feel free to ask questions below, but keep in mind I am avoiding the specific details for now.

I'm sure you will cover this in the coming weeks, but I think it's worth mentioning here. The primary reason that I keep my guild membership active is having quick access to the guidance of a professional woodworker. Knowing you've got my back gives me the confidence to push my boundaries and try new things. It's very important to me that I can get access to you quickly when I need it on any of my projects (not just the guild builds).

Having said that, I understand why you are making this change and I think it's the right thing to do.

• Like 1

Those sound like fair and sound revisions, Marc. They all make sense. Things are gonna plane out and settle down...they always do. And we'll still be here when that happens. You're always fair with us, and that breeds loyalty. Now go build a badass shop.

i for one would like the part where we can get specific videos because right now i have no place for a table, chair, set of drawers but i can see building a bench and taking it out to work and using in my classroom. the only reason that i didnt join when marc started was i wanted to wait till he had more on his guild builds then the 5 he has but now i can build the bench i so want to make.

Hi Marc,

I was about to join the Guild as I wanted to do the Greene and Greene frame, your next guild build (mission clock?) and have access to the Guild Archive. Should hold back a few weeks?

I know that it's a though question... but I have to ask.

Thank you,

Simon-Pierre

• 1 month later...

Being a newbie woodworker, from the snippets I've seen of the Guild builds, I would like to view them all even though I may not build them all. Will there be two types of Guild memberships after the restructuring?

Marc, I have to disagree with you that the membership is expensive. I took a 1-day sharpening class at the Heritage School of Woodworking while I was building the Roubo and it was $125 for 8 hrs, not to mention I had to drive 4 hours each way and take a day off work. By contrast, I have received multiple times the value from your videos, blog, forums, and 1x1 emails. And that's just the content, let alone the flexibility of being able to engage around my often hectic schedule. Life happens to us all, so get your family settled and that killer new shop set up...heck, I was envious enough of your last shop!

Hey thanks man. I appreciate the perspective. Perhaps saying they are "expensive" is putting it the wrong way. I guess I meant to say that $199 is a lot of money for most folks. But I absolutely think that the asking price is an incredible value for what you get. As someone who has taken many classes and plunked down $30-$40 for a 60 minute DVD, I truly believe the value is there.

And not to take away from in-person classes since those are tremendously helpful. But when it comes to dollars per hours of instruction, the membership just can't be beat.

Hello there. Newbie in the room/workshop. I've just signed us a SuperFan. In all honesty Marc I think you short sell yourself on the value of your website and YouTube videos. As a remote fan from the UK I can honestly say not a day goes by when I don't check in on your site, usually on the commute by train into work on my iPad (anything is better than listening to the Brits complain about the weather!) As a comparison I've just signed up to a 2 day Routing course over here run by Axminster (our equivalent of Rockler I think). Total cost is £255 or about $400 of your US dollars. I came close to signing up when the guild started the Roubo but life as you say it, got in the way. However having just been made redundant, not such a bad thing oven the payout I got, and I now that I have the joy of really spending some time in my shop, and buying some long dreamed of power tools, the Roubo is first up...as soon as I finish the Mrs potting bench, and my son's Hot Wheels display case, and my daughter's dressing up box, and apparently I need to build a cabin bed for my other son. My argument that I need the Roubo to do the above is not working out. Hey ho. Just thought I'd give you a shout out from the other side of the pond and let you know your work and advice is valued worldwide. Happy days. Hadders :-D