Dosch miter trimmer

JohnDi

I've used one of those, or something similar to it, for picture frames. Best advice I can give for using it is rough cut the pieces to length by whatever means, and the angle doesn't need to be perfect, just close. Then, use the trimmer to "sneak up" on the miter, as you would with a shooting board.

I have a import copy of the miter trimmer. It will shave end grain silky smooth if the blades are razor sharp. It will shave fingernails and fingertips if you are not careful, mine got me this summer!

Pre cut your parts about 1/8" oversized for each end. I mark my cuts with a marking knife and then darken the cut with a pencil. Practice shaving to a line before you cut actual project parts to length .

You can add sandpaper to the face of the fences to prevent parts from slipping.

My trimmer has an adjustable pop up button to hold the fence at 45 degrees. These can be tricky to adjust, take your time.

The harder the wood is the thinner the shaving you want to take . Also applies to thicker wood as well.

I have one that I got at an antique mall. I think I paid $60 for mine! It is awesome. Once you set up the 45 and 90 stops and sharpen the blades, it is unbeatable. The endgrains are shaved silky smooth. I use mine all the time. Here's a photo of mine as I bought it.

For $5??? Don't hesitate!!!2011_01_08_001.jpg

• 5 years later...

Welcome to the Forum J Dosch !  I too would like to hear the background story about your great great grandfather invention.  My trimmer is an Asian copy but it produces glass smooth cuts. 

My great uncle invented the parallel jaw hand seamer that sheet metal trades use. My brother has one of the hand made prototypes with the patent number engraved on it. Malco was assigned the patent to make them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The vintage Dosch miter trimmer can be used for many purposes it is great for baseboard shoe molding 2 and 1/2 inch crown chair rail picture frames and much more however I would not recommend using it for it is an antique and worth about five hundred bucks! I actually have two of them that were passed down through my family I'm a fifth-generation woodworker we do need Master craftsmanship woodwork good night have a grizzly miter trimmer that I actually use but my Dosch set an China cabinet and one on a mantle!

• 5 months later...