What's next?

Ronnie Boyett

Once again I need your advice and I am STILL new at woodworking.  I have a decent table saw, nice miter saw, decent router table and pretty nice router, and a better than nothing stand alone jointer. I know there are tons of tools I need but here is my question. (by the way, this is currently just as a hobbyist.)  I have new funds and I have enough to purchase a bench top drill press and bench top bandsaw, nothing fancy, OR I could purchase a bench top (middle of the road) thickness planner. What are your thoughts on which way to go or maybe you have other ideas I haven't considered.  Thanks   :unsure:

The best time to decide on what to buy next is when you hit a roadblock on the project and there's no way to move forward on it without that one thing, or if alternative methods are just too annoying.

Regardless, I would personally go for the planer first over the drill press / band saw (especially as you already have a jointer), but that's my choice. Even though stores will sell surfaced woods, wood movement happens sometimes and they're still not perfect when you get it home (especially after sitting a while), so I always count on remilling to some degree even if it's S2S/S3S/S4S or whatever.

Bandsaw would be a great next purchase to resaw that wood. More ways to drill straight holes than a drill press, so I'd put that at lower priority.

• Like 1

I may take some slack for this but I'd avoid the benchtop bandsaw.

Unless your plan is simply just to make artsy/craftsy kinds of projects you are likely to out grow a benchtop bandsaw very quickly.

I have a 9 inch bandsaw for a while way back when I started. Now I wouldn't want anything smaller than 14".

In my humble opinion, you are better off looking for a used 14" rather than a new 9".

• Like 2

I would've suggested planer as well so the two cents I'm going to throw in are to agree with Chet.  I'm not thrilled with a benchtop drill press but it's a usable tool.  On the other hand I've spent most of the weekend arguing with my brother to try and convince that a benchtop band saw isn't worth the money he'd invest in it and before long he's going to want a bigger one anyway.  He argues that he doesn't have the room for a floor standing model (I tried to explain mobile bases but I don't think he gets it) but I did a pretty good job of explaining cutting depth.  He's stubborn, tho so I don't know if I won the argument yet.

Making short of the above, hold out for a full size floor model bandsaw.  You won't regret it.