Something We All Should Do

Not only do I keep all the manuals for shop tools, I write the date of purchase and sometimes the cost on the cover of the manual too. I even carry that into lawn and garden tools as well. I also use a Sharpie to write the date of purchase on the tool it's self in clear view.

It is kind of interesting to have a bit of trouble with a "weed-eater" and just as you start to complain about it being junk, you look down and see that it is five years old! :)

Rog

I would need a binder big enough to hold the Encyclopedia Britannica...so mine just get stacked in a big cabinet.  All the receipts go downstairs with the rest of the important documents.  But yeah, keeping both is a good idea.  When I was young and stupid I'd throw all that stuff out because I was so short-sighted...and it bit me in the butt more times than I'd like to admit.

Only think I have receipt for is my lathe. And my initial tools.

Most of my stuff came from Craigslist/ garage sales..... Ect. What I have done is photograph and number each tool. Then I have made a list of everything I own. That way if it's stolen or damaged I have proof for insurance. What will suck is the tools that I have made custom for a job that if lost I'll never get back.