Dave's Workbench

xxdabroxx

Yes, congratulations on the puppy. Love those GSDs. This is mine. His name is Strider and Max in the background. They both like hanging out with me in the shop but Strider hates noisy machines so whenever he sees me reaching for the remote to the dust collector or a power switch on a stationary tool, he heads for the door. One of the benefits of me using more hand tools lately is we both like the noise level better. 

post-17776-0-27602500-1430395135_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Made a little bit of progress in the last week.  Got my legs rough cut and one glued up.  Need to do the other three now, but I need to sharpen planes again before I continue, figure I'll do that after work. Legs are composed of (4) 2x6's each.  Should be stout.

20150506_183116.jpg

Set me up a planing stop along the end of the workbench as I have no vises set up yet. 

20150508_185305.jpg

20150508_200411.jpg

20150509_141950.jpg

Wow, I cannot believe how dull I let my planes get.  I need to sharpen more often.  Tonight I only went from my EZ-Lap diamond stone (fine) to my most course strop with diamond paste.  Got my first leg squared up, I'll have to play with the tenon a bit to get both shoulders square, but I figure I'll save that for later when I have the rest done. 

Must say, these are some of my best glue joints yet.  I'm learning quite a bit building this workbench.  I think it was a good decision for it to be one of my first projects.

20150512_182020.jpg

20150512_181829.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been to Menards either. My last day in Canada last year I passed by a Home Depot and decided to see if it was any different. They had much better tools than the USA home depot. I bought a compass while I was there, a nice compass that they didn't sell at my home depot.  Plus I needed a compass for all the turning stuff I was doing. 

Home Depot isn't really anything special, it's convenient, but loads and loads of made in China stuff.

That's ok I've never even seen a Menards ! But I shopped at the very first Home Depot. It was in an old Treasure Island department store building.

I like menards a lot better than lowes, when I worked construction I got a job with the crew that goes around remodeling the menards stores, we did the one about 1/2 an hour from me. We cut the lumber rack in half and made 2 racks, they are probably 30' long and 2 stories! That's the indoor lumber rack! The only problem was listening to the menards song over and over and over for 5 months <_<

I've never been to Menards either. My last day in Canada last year I passed by a Home Depot and decided to see if it was any different. They had much better tools than the USA home depot. I bought a compass while I was there, a nice compass that they didn't sell at my home depot. Plus I needed a compass for all the turning stuff I was doing.

Home Depot isn't really anything special, it's convenient, but loads and loads of made in China stuff.

loads of china stuff??? In an American store??? I don't believe you for one second! :D
  • Like 1

I bet the check out is the same at all three. 13 people in line with one register open.

actually I don't think I've ever waited more than a couple minutes in line at menards, if there's more than 3-4 people in line they open a new register.

I love Home Depot.  I have one about five minutes from my house and I'm in there a few times a week, sometimes several times in one day if I'm in the middle of a weird DIY project.  Obviously I don't buy tools there but they're great to have nearby when you're putting together some oddball Rube Goldberg deal in your shop or home or you just need a box of screws right now.

Lowes seems to have slightly higher quality items in some cases at slightly higher prices in most cases.  I don't go there often only because it's farther away.  We also have a Menards close but that place is junk wall to wall.  It's like the Walmart of home improvement stores.  Their house tools are on par with Harbor Freight.  But occasionally you can find something pretty cool for cheap.  I got some nice ceramic plant pots there a while back for next to nothing.