Dave's Workbench

xxdabroxx

May be just my local one then..

I believe Home Depot Military Discount is at the option of the store manager.  My local Home Depot only gives the discount on related holidays...Memorial Day, Veterans Day, etc.  The Home Depot, about 20 miles away gives the discount every day.

Dave...your workbench is coming along nicely.

Really it isn't moving much at all right now between my escape artist dog keeping me busy every night last week and being busy all weekend.

I need to sharpen my planes again, pine knots are starting to piss me off.  But I have a coarse diamond stone coming tomorrow so hopefully I'll make some progress this weekend.  It was my birthday last weekend and I got a couple amazon gift cards so I figured a DMT duo stone with base should make for a good long lasting present.  Should make getting the chips out go a little faster too. 

I've got two legs done, maybe I'll get the next two glued up this weekend.  Then I need to get a drill guide coming so I can drill a bunch of holes in the top to chop out the mortises for the legs as well as the groove for the deadman. 

• 1 month later...

Got the last of my legs squared up this weekend.  Bought a new Freud blade for the miter saw, cut pretty darn well although my legs were too big to cut in one shot. 

Figured out the shoulder height for my tenons and got them cut on my leg vice leg.  I started with the most complicated one first so I had backups already made in case I blew it.  haha  I also ordered close to a hundred dollars worth of forstner and auger bits to complete the build.  Still have a few more things I'll need to pick up here and there but I'm getting closer finally. 

I'm thinking about laminating a couple pieces of cherry on the face of a piece of what I believe to be alder for the chop.  The big chunk is a little on the thin side and the cherry would match the face. I'm thinking if I add a touch of camber to some chunks of 2x4 I can get the center clamped tight with my pipe clamp collection. 

Not to try and Hijack this thread, but I have a question for the purists of the bunch!. When making a large table top like this I have always glued up sections about a foot across and run them thru the planner. Then when I have enough sections glued together and planned, I glue the sections together for the total width and only need to hand plane where the sections are glued together. Is this cheating or acceptable practice!

Well, I bought a 3/4 x 5.5" x 8' cherry stick this afternoon. Definitely not a straight grained piece, I think it will "book match" up fairly well. I'll snag some pics this afternoon. That will bring me up to 2-1/2" thick for my chop, think that is enough or should I add another 3/4" to it? The mortise for the cris cross needs to be 1-11/16" so I figured I would cut all the way through my first thick layer as its 1-3/4". If I have to I can add a shim behind the bearing plate.

The three legs that still need their shoulders cut at 34.1/2" 

P7260162.jpg

Bottom of the leg vise leg.

P7260158.jpg

Leg vise hardware spread out.

P7260159.jpg

Cherry with a little, ok a lot, of acetone on it to show the grain.  I really need something around that dries slower than acetone. Not bad for a home depot stick. 

P7260165.jpg

P7260164.jpg

My new blade. 

P7260166.jpg

I've got this chunk that I don't think is thick enough so I'm planning to laminate a glued up cherry panel to the face of it.  I'm thinking it is close enough to 1-11/16" thk to just cut the track out for the X cross with a jig saw.  I'm just not sure if a single 3/4" layer of cherry beyond that is enough.  I figure the finished width will be closer to 9" or so, haven't decided yet. 

_-MK8oO5DZy2uC0oJkkv4t45K2LgxagptKX5vO9k

X-yCydFRT-BAkhmoGijpc4tfBHG8uy9IOd0nONPT

tRCUABDGx7D56lkV16ibpT1w28sfI-5zK7JUBnno

UoExCLX1j0_tdv1TSy1VJLHIZInIeFd9T9EwnSpI

I suppose I could try it and if I have to I could always rebuild the chop later. 

Tonight I cut my cherry board in half, jointed the edges with my no.8 and glued it back together. 

I also hit them with the no.4 on the faces a little so I could see the grain better.  Took forever to come up with a match that I liked.  It's not going to be perfect by any means but not bad for my first panel. 

It's definitely going to need to be flattened, my dog decided to run up to a larger german shepherd on a walk with his owner mid glue up.  He doesn't understand that he can't play with just anyone.  He got nipped pretty good and ran off like WTF man???  Not the right time Duke. 

20150727_192130.jpg

20150727_192139.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well it was a rainy weekend so Sunday I took some time to work on the old workbench.  I got all of the leg tenons cut.  Then I worked on fitting the leg vise's mortise.  Chopping the mortise was a lot of work, I bored out most of the waste with a 1" Forster bit then chipped the waste out with a chisel.  I think on the next one I'll bring home my trim router from my dad's and see if I cant use it to hog out some more material.  Any suggestions on a bit for a 2" deep mortise?  I only have a trim router, but figured I may be able to remove material slowly with it.  I also think I may use a smaller bit next time to get the holes nearer to the edges and corners. 

ikNuVNuXf6acbz6JOLgOPK8hILWZmg7E1_qi2HVF

lP8kQBuznWWPcsGXc30Oxq6QcIJs8xKucgmJ8vq2

GnJF6GwOd-m1ffMd_st5-X0UX9NxysEpVqC6j69m

Legs are almost comically big, but it's a workbench not a dining table, figure the more mass the better. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Immortan D said:

The downside of such massive legs is that you will need a helluva long vise screw for the leg vise, otherwise you'll be left with a poor aperture.

Good point, I may have to counterbore that leg.  I have benchcrafted leg vise hardware, so I'll have to play around with it a little bit. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Made some progress over the weekend on this beast.  I got the last leg mortised into the top and made all the rails.  Mortised the legs for the rails, and finally did a dry assembly.  I still have some work to do with the leg vise and I need a 1-1/4" drill bit that can drill pretty deep.  Any suggestions for a super deep drill bit?  I'm thinking some kind of auger bit, I wonder if wood owl makes on that big?  Anyways, here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure. 

9FMxvg7nFPluYxIHy0ZH4wVEh3PQT-q8xYA7_pAi

PcGONCHnKWlnTRLWX9AN2YFXLtdtAJTJ_q2MSehf

fmgmfCUrnRUh9aAyrRw-YyrezTrESdnPYcRi6Uqu

Also did a little bit of laminating on my leg vise.  I put some dents in the top of it so I tried steaming them out for the first time.  Works surprisingly well.

zf929mGQNVyuXtvh_0_jkmGCa7tG8eXKJduc3xKW

4_rJf47BGFrUGqSOKyHZqmlcbAycDo8tZ80H4Nzd

w/ mineral spirits (substitute)

8HVWx1jSk4ywVn6K--G77HyCvdj1GKvY3UXP3qxM

Also, my 1" chisel is mean...  That is all. 

_rnuW44pBb2-lHOuoB_Jpa95LbYHPcJHmlIicQre

That's all for now folks.   "Safety third!"

ujP6d1PedClnxnx94em_u8T1KKxZhrcNoP2E5AYN