Glass marbles to preserve finish

wouldwurker

Not sure if this is one of those things that is talked about more than is actually practiced, but I've been using the glass marble air displacement method in my cans of finish and it really does work great.

Bought the bag at Michaels for $2 or something like that.

Been using the same can of ARS and Butcher Block for a few months now. Good as new.

I keep the marbles in my finishing cabinet and add a few each time I pour out some finish.

d7e9c72f66cfa9c1d17e6cd626d2c230.jpg

2cf96adb7eb6ac9e2d2f09ef304b7ac1.jpg

• Like 1

I've used small, cleaned crushed granite rocks for decades. The only reason is that we have an abandoned rock quarry on our property. They hit water they couldn't keep up with to pump out, and left. They also left us big piles of different sizes of crushed stone, not to mention maybe an acre and a half of the best swimming hole ever. Only photo I can find below:

http://www.starbornhavanese.com/images/2009_07_15_Kings_Quarry.jpg

In that back corner to the right is a 22' high cliff over 22' deep water.

The marble/rock thing was discussed earlier and I meant to ask then. When you pour some out of the can and into a useable container, do you pour any remaining unused back into the original container. If so, it would seem that you are exposing more of the liquid to the oxygen, thus defeating the purpose. If not, it would be very wasteful?

I've heard of this being done but don't believe I have ever had the need. I've been using the same can of ARS satin for four months and have never had any crusty build up, film on top, nothing. Maybe since I use it almost weekly, it doesn't ever have the chance?

I've heard of this being done but don't believe I have ever had the need. I've been using the same can of ARS satin for four months and have never had any crusty build up, film on top, nothing. Maybe since I use it almost weekly, it doesn't ever have the chance?

It'll gradually get more viscous. I bet if you opened a brand new can you'd be surprised how much thinner it was.

A much simpler solution is buy a propane torch and release a few seconds into the container before closing. Propane is heavier than air and will settle on top of the finish. You won't have the mess of marbles (unless you smoke) and one bottle will probably last a lifetime. I've done this for over a decade with Waterlox and works great.

Second thing is never put leftover finish back in the container. Those few ounces aren't worth trying to save because they've already started curing. 

I've used small, cleaned crushed granite rocks for decades. The only reason is that we have an abandoned rock quarry on our property. They hit water they couldn't keep up with to pump out, and left. They also left us big piles of different sizes of crushed stone, not to mention maybe an acre and a half of the best swimming hole ever. Only photo I can find below:

http://www.starbornhavanese.com/images/2009_07_15_Kings_Quarry.jpg

In that back corner to the right is a 22' high cliff over 22' deep water.

now that looks cool, any fish populating in there?