Piano Hinges

Eric.

Does anyone know where I can find high-quality, machined, solid brass piano hinges?  I searched high and low but the best I could find were the pressed ones from Lee Valley.  I'm about to install them but it feels all dirty because they're not awesome.  They're far from awesome.  I'm sure machined ones would be super expensive - if they even exist - but I would happily pay whatever they cost if someone knows of a source.

Shot in the dark...

Does anyone know where I can find high-quality, machined, solid brass piano hinges?  I searched high and low but the best I could find were the pressed ones from Lee Valley.  I'm about to install them but it feels all dirty because they're not awesome.  They're far from awesome.  I'm sure machined ones would be super expensive - if they even exist - but I would happily pay whatever they cost if someone knows of a source.

Shot in the dark...

Drop Steve a PM, he's got sources for some reason that beats the pee out of what we normally have!

Thanks Rich...I'm not gonna bother though.  I'll just assume because I didn't get any quick responses and I couldn't find any with a thorough interwebs search that they don't exist anymore if they ever did.  I'm sure a good machinist could do it but I don't have the time - or THAT much interest - to have them custom made.

I've already hacked my hinges down to length so no going back now.  Whatever.  Life ain't perfect.

Honestly the thing that bothers me most about these is that the holes aren't counter-bored.  I mean what's the deal with that?  Stupid.

But countersunk and satin sound like what I was looking for.  Like I said, too late...thanks though.

On second thought...these things are garbage.  I can't live with them.

This has to have been the most entertaining 29-minute shop video we'll never get to see.

I installed them and they're shiny and ugly.  Cheap and flimsy.  The doors on this cabinet will have to hold a considerable amount of weight and I'm not sure they're up to the job.  I'm gonna have to find some real hinges.  I've found some solid brass milled blanks (no holes) on ebay for a reasonable price.  I'll probably go that route.

Shame on Lee Valley for even selling this junk.  I'd hate to see what the cheap ones they sell look like.

Eric, I found a place today at the office that had solid brass as well as aluminum, steel and ss. I was going to post it but you waved us off. I just looked and don't see the site but it's still on my computer screen at work. I will send it to you in the morning. If I forget, send me a pm

I used stainless on mine and it looks good. I'm not so sure that piano hinges can be machined from a solid billet due to the length - try drilling a hole all the way through something 8 feet long! Every piano hinge I've seen has been punched out of flat stock then the hinge formed by folding over into a circle. 

Stainless would look good and never tarnish !

Well you convinced me to give it a shot.  I ordered unfinished stainless .060 thick.  Hope they look okay.  I'm assuming they'll add a bit of a contemporary look, which I'm usually okay with...but I'm a big fan of brass on walnut...high quality brass anyway.  Gamble taken.  Outcome TBD.

In 15 years this cabinet will be beat to death and covered in an inch of dust and filth and you probably won't even be able to see the slots in the heads of the screws...if it's used as much as a tool cabinet should be used in a shop that's used as much as a shop should be used. :)

I'll remember your advice for future projects.  Although I can't think of a single piece of furniture I've built that has visible screws, sans hinges...all brass thus far.  But thanks for the tip...never heard that before.

That sounds right, although if the stainless screws had finish on the head it probably wouldn't matter.  I've been reading about smithing and apparently if you work with stainless and want it to stay stainless you have to be careful about contaminating it with non-stainless steel/iron during your working process.