Don't like seeing ads like this

estesbubba

So I'm sitting on the throne reading (OK, flipping thru ads) the Country Lanes magazine we get monthly in the mail. I saw this ad which pissed me off as a hobby woodworker as most of the wood I get is locally milled. It's people like this that make our most beautiful native hardwood even more expensive. 

caUcaaC9ULIT0cyiq1EzRMHuB0RmBXveGmftdb9n

In my neck of the woods, we have a couple of large kilns, that buy up a lot of our local hardwoods, dry it, then ship it directly to China, Viet Nam, India!  They claim they get very high prices for our wood overseas.  I believe it, cause they keep expanding!     The power of the dollar rules !   And it sucks!!!

The sawyer I buy from said these guys are usually con artists, trying to buy his logs for pennies on the dollar.   When a customer does bring in a veneer quality log to be sawed, my sawyer does let the customer know he could get top dollar if he sold it for veneer (I assume "overseas mills" implied the log will be cut into veneer for cabinet grade sheet goods)  Yes it does take long, clear walnut boards out of the market but veneer does stretch a scarce resource.   

Most folks think that resources are shipped to china to be processed because labor is cheap there.  That is somewhat true but factoring in the cost of transport it becomes a bit of a push (notwithstanding their recent currency devaluation).  The real cost savings for chinese manufacturing is that they have no  environmental  standards.  

Also Shannon wrote about this on his mcilvain blog.  There were some tariffs in place to help equalize the cost between chinese and american plywood.    These tariffs raised the price of Chinese plywood. The american manufacturers responded by raising their prices.   In short the tariffs backfired, instead of making american goods more competitive, they made them more expensive.   

My point is, don't hate the players (in this case the log buyers and chinese mills), hate the game.   

Edited by Guest

I heard a story a long time ago (and it may be BS) that foreign ships came to the west coast and bought logs. Then would go back to sea about 12 miles off the coast and turn it into plywood onboard the ship. Then come back into port and sell the plywood back to lumber companies. 

I also heard the same thing about iron ore and steel beams.

As I said, it may be BS and I have NO proof if that is truth or not.

Rog

I heard a story a long time ago (and it may be BS) that foreign ships came to the west coast and bought logs. Then would go back to sea about 12 miles off the coast and turn it into plywood onboard the ship. Then come back into port and sell the plywood back to lumber companies. 

I also heard the same thing about iron ore and steel beams.

As I said, it may be BS and I have NO proof if that is truth or not.

Rog

I work for a steel mill, and can say with confidence that it would take perpetual motion, time warping, and a black hole to turn iron ore into construction beams aboard any ship that ever sailed. Plywood, on the other hand ...

Tennessee has iron guts to drink that stuff! I think harvesting the veneer is probable. You could shed the waste and load more product. Achieving decent glue and press in the salt air environment seems unlikely to me. There are too many variables throughout the process. Stranger things have happened though...

Tennessee has iron guts to drink that stuff! I think harvesting the veneer is probable. You could shed the waste and load more product. Achieving decent glue and press in the salt air environment seems unlikely to me. There are too many variables throughout the process. Stranger things have happened though...

Ha! Fat thumbs on a phone keyboard strike again. Fixed now, thanks C!
  • Like 1