Picture Frame Using Veneer

wnaziri

I don't know about you all but I hate wasting ANY lumber.  I can probably afford to get new lumber as needed but I can not stand throwing away lumber.  So, as I was progressing through some of my projects this summer, I decided to make a picture frame for my wife using some of the wood that could not really be used otherwise.  The frame is based on Marc Spagnulo's frame.  I  decided this summer that I needed to learn how to do veneering.  So, I bought a bunch of veneers.  I bought some supplies from joewoodworker.  Since I had no idea whether I would succeed and whether I would like veneering, I decided get my feet wet by doing some iron-on veneering before investing in a vac system.

The fram pictured here is using remnants of mahogany (from the chest of drawers project) and purpleheart (form the jewelry box project).  The base of the frame was using some hardwood that had in the shop that I chose to use as the substrate for the veneer.  The veneer I chose was tiger maple that has tremendous figure and I really love it.  I cut the miters on my Dewalt contractor saw using a miter jig.  Finished the project with Waterlox.

Frame(00).thumb.jpg.e0dadda0c71c495cd9a3

Frame_(22).thumb.jpg.cd9dfa419e9c9ef6a42

Frame_(11).thumb.jpg.b404e830590bb34afc7

I used my newly bought Domino XL, which by the way was the very first time I had ever used a Domino.  Loved it.

Awesome frame! Glad to hear you went with the df700. I absolutely love mine. The dominos make difficulty clamping miters a thing of the past !

Im assuming you got the seneca adapter? I don't think a stock df700 domino would have worked on that frame. What size domino did you use?

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Oh man, you could have said biscuits, dowels, half lap, Brad nails, anything but Domino. You don't gots to say Domino! Does that tell ya I don't have one?

If the Domino had not arrived that week, I was prepared to use biscuits with my Dewalt biscuit joiner. :)

Awesome frame! Glad to hear you went with the df700. I absolutely love mine. The dominos make difficulty clamping miters a thing of the past !

Im assuming you got the seneca adapter? I don't think a stock df700 domino would have worked on that frame. What size domino did you use?

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

You are correct in that the stock df700 would not be appropriate for this frame.  When I ordered the df700, I also ordered the Seneca adapter along with 5mm and 6mm bits.  For this frame, I used the 6 mm bit with 6mm X 40mm tenons.  I also use the more precise setting which really paid off in getting the miters nice and tight without any significant slop.

Great looking frame! I hate to toss lumber as well, but I haven't tried veneering yet. Might just give it a whirl, after this piece of inspiration!

The veneering seemed very straight forward.

I watched a bunch of videos.  I "borrowed" one of my wife's irons to do the veneering.  (For some reason, she does not want the iron back.)  I bought on quart of Headlock glue, a roller, and a veneer saw from joewoodworker.  I veneered pieces that were oversized and then cut them on the table saw, giving me nice, clean edges.  I think the ironing technique is well suited for smaller projects and it surely is not too expensive to get started.