Pine!!!

benbo

I'm not a big fan of pine, but unfortunately I have to make a mantle-piece out of it. My big question is how I should finish it. I don't do a lot of woodwork but a few years ago I made a piece of furniture out of oak and did the whole wire wool, briwax, wire wool, briwax, wire wool, briwax...process and it came up so nice and shiny. I want to do the same to my piece of pine, but because it is a soft wood will it have the same effect? I hate the look and feel of varnish, so I would prefer not to use varnish, but it does need something to protect it from the scratches.  

Thanks. :)

I like how danish oil looks on pine. Being a very diluted mixture, you have good control over how much it builds up. I like to wet sand each coat with 800 grit before wiping back. However, this will provide little protection from scratches, and neither will wax. For durability, you need a finish that hardens and makes at least a little film in the surface.

I just finished doing some trim work around a door, window, and a window sill.  I applied minwax pre-stain conditioner and then applied my stain.  After that I applied water based poly, quick pass with sanding block, then second and third coat of water based poly.  Nice and smooth to the touch and looks great.

I know you said you were not really interested in varnish on pine, but my experience was pretty good.

I am not sure why so many knocks on pine...I love it! Anywho, just wanted to chime in on my new favorite pine finish. Coat of de-waxed shellac and then water based satin poly.

Picture is of a 36" x 102" x 3" fireplace matel.

88fae00c3bbdddee60fdb912321967c9.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Looks nice! I too like the appearance of knotty pine in its proper place. What's more rugged, manly, and rustic than a knotty pine mantle? I'd love to see pictures of it in place when all's done.

Incidentally, how do you keep it from catching fire? Is this for a gas fireplace? I've had a wood fireplace before, and I'd be scared to have anything but a stone or masonry mantel...

ba6f0748f74e011fef16c87862d3014a.jpg

8333f7894c74a8b64dd6ead65af162d1.jpg

ddc7f9bc23ee75a7b13df13aed27f6af.jpg

Sorry for late reply. Here are some pics of the installed pieces. This was a bit tricky with all the angles. It is 3 separate pieces including the shelf up top. Zero clearance gas fireplace. I milled it all from 8x8 fir timbers. All i can say is HEAVY!

12 hours ago, benbo said:

Awesome

That looks fantastic. Was that with de-waxed shellac? 

Thanks guys, I was very happy with it and so were the homeowners!

I used some leftover de-waxed shellac from another project. I believe it was a 1.5# cut. 

When doing some samples I compared it sided by side with a natural stain and the shellac looked so much richer than the stain. I would really recommend giving it a try.