Need fresh eyes to organize shop

Pwalter5110

I just bought another tool, and also decided that it is time for a real workbench. The problem is space. I work out of my basement in two seperate rooms. The first room measure 12x12 and the second measure about 10x18. It's actually a little bigger than 10' deep but It is also where the laundry gets done.

What isn't in the picture is a outfeed table behind the table saw which allows basically no room between the planer and outfeed table.

I have absolutely no more room in my sub panel, or main panel for anymore electricity so I only have one 220v circuit into the shop. Both my jointer and bandsaw run off 220v so they need to stay close together which is a struggle because where the bandsaw is at, it leave very little walking room between the table saw and bandsaw. The kicker is, my bandsaw is probably my least used tool that I own.

To the left of my table saw is my lumber rack. The left wing of my table saw is basically tucked under the lumber rack. Plugging in my table saw after I use the planer (they use the same outlet) means that I have to crawl under the lumber rack and table saw wing. Its a nightmare.

In the top right corner next to the jointer is where I have my clamps hanging. That is fine, although it needs to be made bigger. I have many more clamps than I used to when I built the clamp rack.

The bottom left corner next to the drill press there is a furnace, and on the other side of the drill press is the hot water tank.

To the right of the radial arm saw in an entrance between the two rooms. Farther on the right wall where no tools are placed there is a door way to a garage.

The workbench with the lathe is actually along a set of stairs. The cnc machine is actually tucked under the staircase.

My questions are. How can I streamline my shop to make it feel more spacious. While fitting a new drum sander and a new workbench in there. And honestly, with the next project I am doing, I will need a better router table than the one on the side of my table saw, so I will need room for that.

I will also take any advice on storing smaller tools. As you can see, I have absolutely no cabinets, or shelves. Everything gets moved from one flat surface to another.

current shop.jpg

6 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I don't see the power as an issue on your jointer and bandsaw.   I don't know about you but, I never run them at the same time.  Just run another plug on the same circuit.

Its not that I run them at the same time. Its that they have to be close together and the bandsaw is causing things to get clustered.

3 minutes ago, Pwalter5110 said:

Its not that I run them at the same time. Its that they have to be close together and the bandsaw is causing things to get clustered.

Why do they have to be close?  If you run another plug, you can put it wherever you'd like.

8 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Why do they have to be close?  If you run another plug, you can put it wherever you'd like.

I was actually thinking about converting the bandsaw from 220 to 110v. Its just the grizzly g0555. That way I could move it wherever it needs to be without running another 220v line in series.

Maybe you could use a splitter on your planer and table saw like the one below.  It will save you crawling around.  You don't use both at the sometime.   I use one on my bandsaw and router table.  I don't have to crawl around anything, its just more convenient.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3203693

054732806775lg.jpg.ca8186b489ab256c05f30

What do you use the radial arm saw for?  I had a sentimental attachment to mine but finally got rid of it because I need the room.  I do all my important cross cuts on the table saw.

5 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Maybe you could use a splitter on your planer and table saw like the one below.  It will save you crawling around.  You don't use both at the sometime.   I use one on my bandsaw and router table.  I don't have to crawl around anything, its just more convenient.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3203693

054732806775lg.jpg.ca8186b489ab256c05f30

What do you use the radial arm saw for?  I had a sentimental attachment to mine but finally got rid of it because I need the room.  I do all my important cross cuts on the table saw.

I like that idea with the splitter. As far as the radial arm saw, my grandfather gave it to me. I use it for rough cross cuts, and keep it thinking that I'll use it for dados one day. Crosscuts on long pieces are easier on the radial arm saw than the table saw for me. I have an osbourne miter gauge, But I feel like it constantly needs adjusted to get accurate 90 degree corners. Maybe I need to take some time to build myself a cross cut sled and get rid of the radial arm saw....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pwalter5110 said:

my grandfather gave it to me

Like I said - Sentimental attachment :)  My radial arm saw was my first power tool so I used to dados with mine.  I took it slow but as you know, its a climb cut so dados used to scare the hell out of me. :o

47 minutes ago, Pwalter5110 said:

I was actually thinking about converting the bandsaw from 220 to 110v. Its just the grizzly g0555. That way I could move it wherever it needs to be without running another 220v line in series.

I run my G0555 on 110 and don't have any issues..

Regardless, you can have 2 plugs on that one circuit because you don't run them at the same time.  Not sure of your local code or your electrical ability but, I would do it in my shop even tho I would have to remove the second plug to sell based on my local code.

Easy temporary  solution: go to the store and get a couple of 220 volt, 20 amp outlets, a 4" square electrical box, preferably the kind with rounded corners, 10 ft. of 12/3 type SJOW cord, a strain relief and a 220 volt, 20 amp cord plug. Build yourself an extension cord and plug your stuff in. No more crawling around and you can place it wherever you want.

It looks/sounds like a lot of your problems are focused around switching between tools. Invest in a couple 14g splitters and/or extension cords and do some semi-permanent wiring for your tools. Splurging on extension cords is worth it for safety.

If that planer is a lunch-box style, I'd recommend putting it on a flip-top table as soon as possible. You may even be able to leave the other side bare and use it as the outfeed table of your saw. This goes for all dedicated bench-top tools.

If you are set on keeping the radial-arm saw, see if you can make it's table pull double-duty. Build a bench around it, or embed it into an assembly table. At the very least, build a cabinet into the base if it's open.

If you truly aren't using the Bandsaw, I say sell it. See if you can get a good price, and either re-invest in a bench top 110v model that can be tucked away somewhere, or put it toward cabinets. If you want to keep it, make sure its on a mobile bench so you can tuck it out of the way. You may want to consider trading the floor-standing drill press for a decent bench top one. Unless you are frequently drilling into long stock, and even then, you can mount it to the side of a bench and swing the head out over empty space. You could probably fit it alongside your radial arm saw without compromising either tool.

French cleats get thrown around a lot as a recommendation, and I'm going to include them here. The shear flexibility is worth it, and the materials are cheap. You can fit rails into a lot of dead spots, and hang stuff like finish-can racks or fastener boxes. Best feature is, when you move out, just lift whatever you've built off and it's ready to go onto the racks in your next house.

Check out Jay Bates' youtube channel for other ideas, he's got a lot of early videos about setting up shop in a very strangely shaped space (old apartment).

• Like 1

On 2/8/2016 at 4:02 PM, BonPacific said:

It looks/sounds like a lot of your problems are focused around switching between tools. Invest in a couple 14g splitters and/or extension cords and do some semi-permanent wiring for your tools. Splurging on extension cords is worth it for safety.

If that planer is a lunch-box style, I'd recommend putting it on a flip-top table as soon as possible. You may even be able to leave the other side bare and use it as the outfeed table of your saw. This goes for all dedicated bench-top tools.

If you are set on keeping the radial-arm saw, see if you can make it's table pull double-duty. Build a bench around it, or embed it into an assembly table. At the very least, build a cabinet into the base if it's open.

If you truly aren't using the Bandsaw, I say sell it. See if you can get a good price, and either re-invest in a bench top 110v model that can be tucked away somewhere, or put it toward cabinets. If you want to keep it, make sure its on a mobile bench so you can tuck it out of the way. You may want to consider trading the floor-standing drill press for a decent bench top one. Unless you are frequently drilling into long stock, and even then, you can mount it to the side of a bench and swing the head out over empty space. You could probably fit it alongside your radial arm saw without compromising either tool.

French cleats get thrown around a lot as a recommendation, and I'm going to include them here. The shear flexibility is worth it, and the materials are cheap. You can fit rails into a lot of dead spots, and hang stuff like finish-can racks or fastener boxes. Best feature is, when you move out, just lift whatever you've built off and it's ready to go onto the racks in your next house.

Check out Jay Bates' youtube channel for other ideas, he's got a lot of early videos about setting up shop in a very strangely shaped space (old apartment).

That was a pretty lengthy and amazing first post! Welcome to the forum and thanks for the ideas!. Im wondering if it is possible to have my radial arm saw double as an outfeed table for the table saw. Its not too often I am cutting to the left of the blade more than a couple of inches.

I was thinking about tucking the planer under my right table saw wing. But I keep telling myself that milling a lot of wood will get very old bending over for hours running stock through the planer. Maybe the flip top table would be better for my situation.

I am definitely going to invest in those splitters. It should help a lot.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm in the process of downsizing from a two car garage to a one car (10x22), so a lot of these things are on my mind.

Using your RAS as an outfeed might be possible, but I feel like that's going to make it nearly impossible to use. I guess if you aren't using it much already it could work.  What kind is it? 

Would love to see some pictures as you work things out.

On 2/7/2016 at 10:59 PM, TIODS said:

I run my G0555 on 110 and don't have any issues..

Regardless, you can have 2 plugs on that one circuit because you don't run them at the same time.  Not sure of your local code or your electrical ability but, I would do it in my shop even tho I would have to remove the second plug to sell based on my local code.

Same suggestion as TIODS...not sure why you're glossing over this suggestion.  

This is what i did in my shop, i have one 220v circuit with 4 different outlets since i only run one tool at a time (i also have a separate dedicated 220v for my dust collector).  If you've wired a normal 115v outlet, you can handle 220v - two black to two black.

7 hours ago, tedfmcm said:

This is what i did in my shop, i have one 220v circuit with 4 different outlets since i only run one tool at a time (i also have a separate dedicated 220v for my dust collector).  If you've wired a normal 115v outlet, you can handle 220v - two black to two black.

I wired the only 220 outlet in the shop. It's not that I am glossing over it. Tiods offered to help out tremendously and I plan on getting some information to him this weekend. I just don't know if running 220v outlets in series is up to code. Which wouldn't be a problem, if I didn't plan on moving in the future. He said that he uses his bandsaw wired to 110v and I actually think that is a better solution for me.

6 hours ago, SplinteredDave said:

Would this work for you?  I was looking for a 220v extension and came across this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y1GG0W6/ref=s9_hps_bw_g86_i6

Ive honestly never seen a 220v outlet with that plug on the end. I wonder if that is made for overseas?

I wired the only 220 outlet in the shop. It's not that I am glossing over it. Tiods offered to help out tremendously and I plan on getting some information to him this weekend. I just don't know if running 220v outlets in series is up to code. Which wouldn't be a problem, if I didn't plan on moving in the future. He said that he uses his bandsaw wired to 110v and I actually think that is a better solution for me.

Would this work for you?  I was looking for a 220v extension and came across this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y1GG0W6/ref=s9_hps_bw_g86_i6

Ive honestly never seen a 220v outlet with that plug on the end. I wonder if that is made for overseas?

It's a NEMA 6-15. (250v - 15A) My Sawstop and Jointer both have this plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you lack square footage think in terms of volume.  I have my drum sander stacked on top of my planer on a cart with 4 fixed casters.  I just roll it out two feet to clear the stuff around it and use the aisle as the infeed and outfeed space.  Having the drum sander there actually works out well since the workflow is often planer->drum sander.  With it up high it's easier to see when the work piece has been sanded enough and even to change the paper.  Though I have a lunchbox planer, probably wouldn't be feasible with a stationary one.