Taper, Straightline Jig for the Tablesaw

gee-dub

1 hour ago, trialbyfire said:

I like this jig idea. It's very versatile. Are 4 t tracks necessary for the base? Did you use that many due to flexing issues with the top portion?

Thanks guys.  I decided I needed the four tracks based on experience from wanting holddowns in additional position for varying purposes. On a previous version I just drill a spare hole and attached the holddown where I needed it.  After a few of these I figured out that four would handle the positions I needed most often.  There is no "right" place for these.  It will vary with what you do ;-)

• Like 2

Yeah I absolutely had to as my jointer was down at the time I wanted to start a project. It worked great. Only issue I had is that I was using 8/4 walnut (little thicker actually) and my table saw could take off part of it but it would freak out if I tried to take an 8 inch wide piece and cut 2 inches off. It just came to a stop. That has nothing to do with the jig though. So it added an extra step where I had to go cut an 8" piece into 4 2-ish inch pieces at the band saw, then bring it back over and joint it on the jig.

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

gee, really neat looking jig. 

Cliff, I see extra holes in the base of yours. Are they for narrower stock?

Yup there is a grid of holes. Every 3 inches. So my piece is 36" x 12" so i got 3 columns of holes and 11 or 12 rows. That way I can set up a variety of pieces. It's like a worst version of the original posters tracks. His ability to adjust is much better than mine overall.

34 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Yeah I absolutely had to as my jointer was down at the time I wanted to start a project. It worked great. Only issue I had is that I was using 8/4 walnut (little thicker actually) and my table saw could take off part of it but it would freak out if I tried to take an 8 inch wide piece and cut 2 inches off. It just came to a stop. That has nothing to do with the jig though. So it added an extra step where I had to go cut an 8" piece into 4 2-ish inch pieces at the band saw, then bring it back over and joint it on the jig.

Not enough power, or things were binding? With an unsupported edge i can imagine that taking large cuts may not work that well but your table saw should be able to cut 8/4 walnut. I was making 2.25" cuts in oak last night on my 1-3/4 hp saw and it didn't even bog.

Honestly can't tell you. I'm still new enough at this that I don't understand if its not enough power or if it's a binding issue. I felt like it was power. It's supposed to be 1 1/2 HP. Honestly, had this thing a year and I'm finding it's limitations pretty quickly. I'm ready for a Sawstop. My budget isn't though.

• 4 months later...