Kitchen Hutch

gee-dub

5 hours ago, Mike. said:

Nice work!  The inlay doors look great. 

I feel like I have seen this before.  Was it posted somewhere else?

Thanks all.  Yes, I'm sure this is out there.

I forgot to show the pullout.  This is my landing pad when bringing groceries in.  The IKEA fixture it replaced can be seen to the left.

Kit-Hut-(231).jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Nice work !

Pecan is closely related to hickory but I think it looks better, either that or you wasted a lot of wood to cut so much clean clear sections  !

Thanks again everyone.  Hickory and pecan hickory are indeed related and each comes in a few varieties.  The pecan I get is generally light in color but, can be as red as red oak, ugly mottles, wild and even curly (tiger) .  If you have the wherewithal to make your own boards out of an array of stock you can get some interesting stuff. 

Generally all my projects start something like this:

A dresser:

GnG Low CoD (11).jpg

This hutch:

kit-hut-(4).jpg

A lowboy:

GnG Low CoD (10).jpg

I'm a bit twisted in that I find material selection one of the more fun parts of a project.  The material that doesn't get a starring role is very usable as a secondary wood.

The pecan was really tough and after the project nearly every cutter I used on it took a trip to the sharpener's.

12 hours ago, Gary-ks said:

Is it anchored to the wall somehow? With that pull out it could tip couldn't it?

In SoCal we are raised with Mother Nature doing the Watusi when you least expect it.  Although I built locations for wall straps into this piece I have not used them.

Kit-Hut-(233).jpg

The top section is mechanically attached to the bottom versus the gravity method used in less earthquake prone areas.  That combined with the sheer weight of the piece make it stable even with a few bags of groceries on the pullout.  I did the full-on "lean on it" test prior to deciding to leave the wall straps off.  If I show up even thinner than I am some day you'll know it was a bad decision.

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

by mechanically attached ... what do you mean? 

...just found this ;) so I figured I would resurrect it for a question 

I'm sure he'll answer this shortly, but I'm imaging he means there is an actual fastener between the top and bottom. Probably some sort of concealed bold, since you'd presumable want to be able to separate it for transport reasons. 

Really I'm posting to ask my own question though. I notice the drawer sides are split, not that this is the first time I've seen it, but what drives that decision? Is it a weight saving issue? 

Top and bottom separate.  Connection is via long #10 screws into the upper's "legs" from below.  These are at opposing angles (kind of like toe-nailing), one screw per post. Earthquake survival is via straps between fixtures and the wall that are so familiar to those of us that grew up where the ground moves.

As to the drawers . . . if you mean 'why don't they go all the way across?' then yes, these would be too long to be very usable and are divided to make them more workable.  If you mean why do they look like two drawer fronts on one bin, that is aesthetics versus function ;-)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Top and bottom separate.  Connection is via long #10 screws into the upper's "legs" from below.  These are at opposing angles (kind of like toe-nailing), one screw per post. Earthquake survival is via straps between fixtures and the wall that are so familiar to those of us that grew up where the ground moves.

As to the drawers . . . if you mean 'why don't they go all the way across?' then yes, these would be too long to be very usable and are divided to make them more workable.  If you mean why do they look like two drawer fronts on one bin, that is aesthetics versus function ;-)

Thanks but I actually meant, why are the drawer sides two pieces, as in the piece with the drawer slide, and the thinner piece right above it. Why not just one single board?

Doh!  I get it now.  That is for visibility and ease of access.  We think of them as bins more than drawers.  They hold large cookware, sink top appliances like food processor or large mixers and all the paraphernalia that goes with them.  The open sides allow us to see what we're reaching in after but, still offer some support so that taller items don't try to fall out or tip over.  In practice the drawers could probably have been shallower and done without the upper rails.  Hindsight is always sooo much better than the original plan :)