PM2244 problem

Janello

I've now torn 2 brand new precut rolls of powermatic paper when I run a board near the clip at the cantilever end. I'm following the simple directions for wrapping the paper but I do see the paper sticking up slightly above the drum at that first clip. I'm guessing that's what's catching. I tried folding the paper at 90* before putting it in the clip but that doesn't seem to help. 

Anyone ever experience paper ripping on very light passes like this before?

Yes, I found that if there was ANY hump at all where my paper turns down into the slot for the clip, that will ware very quickly and be the first place to tear. 

I'm not sure which end is the cantilevered end but this only happens on my inside end of the drum, closest the closed side.

Being that this is the side where the slack is taken up,  I found that as I ran the sander and the paper tightened up on the drum, the wedge shape of the end of the paper was getting too thick foe the slot. I have it mostly remedied by keeping the same length but making the angle slightly more acute. Less material to make the turn and get pushed up. 

Hope that makes sense and helps.

6 hours ago, Janello said:

I've now torn 2 brand new precut rolls of powermatic paper when I run a board near the clip at the cantilever end.

You mean by the open side, yes?  If so, I have experienced the exact same thing a few times now.  I originally thought the paper was just ripping, but I am now thinking based on inspecting the last paper roll this happened on, that it is actually pulling itself out of the clip on the open end of the drum, then any ripping or paper damage happens as the paper spins like crazy and turns itself inside out over the drum.

Upon inspecting the clips for the paper, I noticed the clip on the open side (left side of drum as you stand in front of machine) hold notably less tension than the clip on the right/closed end of the drum. i.e. I can open the clip really easily on the left, whereas the right takes way more force to open the clip.  Is this the same with yours?

So far, what I have done is put a small piece of duct tape around the end of the paper roll that inserts into the first clip - to help it hold it in place tighter.  I haven't had another roll damage with this workaround so far, but I've only just started doing this like a week ago, so not sure if it will last or address the issue.

I have definitely noticed the paper roll protrudes a touch right by the left clip on that open end of the drum - seems I can't get that to sit flat, not sure why. Was thinking about calling Powermatic this week, but got too busy with work.

Will update if I get a chance to call them this week, please do the same if you call them.

My paper seems to lay pretty flat and tight.  This is Klingspor CS 311 (AO).  I have it in many grits and it is pretty well behaved.  It goes without saying that this area has to lay flat if you are doing anything over the drums capacity in two passes. They also offer an "X-flex" weight backing that is more flexible than an x weight cloth.  This flexibility shouldn't really be necessary on a drum but, could be worth a try.

Paper clip.JPG

Yes...mine is ripping on the open end. Both times the paper ripped it left about a 3 or 4 " piece behind, still in the clip. After reading your experiences, I'm pretty sure the issue is the paper not laying flat. Although the clip is tight, the open end clip doesn't have near as much spring tension as the other side. Both times it ripped i was also feeding a narrow piece around 2" wide. I think i might try different paper.

I learned to crease the paper before clamping it and then when the spiral is nice and even w both ends clamped I rub with the crepe rubber block to flatten and warm up the abrasive. Then you can see if it needs to be tightened or has overlapped somewhere. Any looseness is bad .

I also tend to treat my 37" sander like a 35" sander. I've blown a few rolls of paper doing the same thing you just did. If you don't have it clipped in perfectly flat, you run the risk of destroying it at that spot. How about when the paper comes loose off the drum, that's fun isn't it? First time it happened it scared the crap out of me because of the noise. It was shear panic to shut the machine down. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Janello said:

Yes...mine is ripping on the open end. Both times the paper ripped it left about a 3 or 4 " piece behind, still in the clip. After reading your experiences, I'm pretty sure the issue is the paper not laying flat. Although the clip is tight, the open end clip doesn't have near as much spring tension as the other side. Both times it ripped i was also feeding a narrow piece around 2" wide. I think i might try different paper.

Interesting - my paper is not ripping so cleanly at the point of the clip as you describe (the last one definitely pulled loose rather than ripped as I described), but I agree in either case it likely has something to do with the paper not lying perfectly flat there by the left side clip. 

It happened to me with different width stock - but nothing that was wider than maybe 12-15" at most. I don;t think I was super close to the edge, but can't be sure about that.  I will definitely be paying closer attenion to details in the event it happens again.

It happened with both the Powermatic branded paper specific for this machine (which is Klingspor CS 311), and a Jet branded one I had previously for same size (not sure of brand as I threw out already after it ripped). Let me know if you try out another type that seems to work better for you.

6 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

How about when the paper comes loose off the drum, that's fun isn't it? First time it happened it scared the crap out of me because of the noise.

Ha ha - oh yeah, I can relate to this. Scared me to death the first time... ok, and the other 2 times it happened after too.

4 hours ago, Janello said:

I'm not buying your theory Ace. It's designed and marketed as an open end sander to be able to do just that. It's called a 2244 not a 20don'tdothat.

Well, try try as you will, try try as you must. When I was new to a drum sander I thought like you right now. In addition, I never had luck sanding wider than the drum. Marketing is just that, marketing. :D

-Ace-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Well, try try as you will, try try as you must. When I was new to a drum sander I thought like you right now. In addition, I never had luck sanding wider than the drum. Marketing is just that, marketing. :D

-Ace-

So, in summary, don't run boards near the edge unless you have to in which case make sure paper is flat and cross your fingers. Got it. I'm not going to like your post like Eric did, but I got it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
22 minutes ago, bradpotts said:

I just learned this the hard way. I remember reading this a while back but never had this problem. Then the other day I also tore two rolls. Pretty frustrating but I guess you just don't use the 2" by the motor.

You nailed it. After owning this for a while I've found, keep your smaller pieces 3 or 4 inches from either end pretty much solves the paper tear issue.

• Like 1

I pull the paper really tight as I wrap it and stuff the other end in as far as possible before I let the spring clip loose. Then I use the crepe rubber block to flatten the sandpaper towards the take up end while its running. Stop the drum and re-tighten the strip to get that last little bit of slack out of it. If your sanding narrow strips avoid the edges of the drum but wide boards are no problem. 

I pull the paper really tight as I wrap it and stuff the other end in as far as possible before I let the spring clip loose. Then I use the crepe rubber block to flatten the sandpaper towards the take up end while its running. Stop the drum and re-tighten the strip to get that last little bit of slack out of it. If your sanding narrow strips avoid the edges of the drum but wide boards are no problem. 

What do you mean by crepe rubber block?

It's also called a belt cleaning stick. Get the big one. In the summer I keep it in the freezer , that makes it harder. It gets hot and wears faster, cold it cleans better.  Only drawback to using a crepe rubber block is brushing up all the crumbs afterwards. 

http://www.ptreeusa.com/abrasive_accessories.htm

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I've never had paper tear but do sometimes get burning on the closed end, especially with cherry. Anyone else have this problem with drum sanders?

I was just drum sanding some figured walnut last night that even with a super light pass, was giving me a burn mark on the wood and the paper.. the kind that will now burn anything it touches.  no idea why but super weird