3 1/8" Sawtooth bit not cutting - What should I try?

I'm trying to bore out a hole for a clock movement in the back of some 19mm pine. I bought this https://www.carbatec.com.au/drilling-and-boring/sawtooth-bit-3-1-8 and it's not cutting as it should. I know it's a cheap bit - are the others like it which would be better?

I've tried the following:

• Various speeds on the drill press - including the slowest,
  • Drill a few holes to remove some material to maybe make it easier

Just as soon as it touches the timber, it stops and nothing cuts. What else could I try to get the result I'm looking for?

Edited by lewisc
Add video

The belt or chuck is definitely slipping, but when the bit is turning there doesn't seem to be much cutting happening. I don't see any big shavings coming out. The edge teeth are cutting though. Sometimes shavings will fold over & get stuck on the main cutter edges preventing further progress.

I've got a set of HSS sawtooth bits from Lee Valley & they are very good. They cut well & leave a very clean hole.

• Like 1

I agree that it is more than likely the belts are slipping. Are you pushing the motor back to tighten the belts well and tightening the thumb screw that holds it in place?

It also helps when inserting a bit in the chuck that you tighten it at all three places around the chuck. I know that that sounds funny but, it really does make a difference in how the chuck holds the shank of the bit.

Rog

• Like 1

Once you get the drill press issues figured out you can check the sharpness of the bit. Use a magnifying glass or a magnifying headpiece (like jeweler's use) and compare the edge on the 3 1/8 bit to one of your higher quality bits. Sometimes a few careful strokes with a set of diamond paddles is all it takes. Other times a fine file followed by the diamond paddles is needed. Or send it out with your saw blades if you don't have an interest(or the tools) to sharpen it.

Thank you! I'll try to get some extra tension on the belt. Hopefully that should solve the issue. 

8 hours ago, Rapid Roger said:

I agree that it is more than likely the belts are slipping. Are you pushing the motor back to tighten the belts well and tightening the thumb screw that holds it in place?

It also helps when inserting a bit in the chuck that you tighten it at all three places around the chuck. I know that that sounds funny but, it really does make a difference in how the chuck holds the shank of the bit.

Rog

Yeah, I tightened the thumb screw. Just need to see if I can get the motor back a bit further. 

Update: All the belts are tight. I even found a nut that was not as tight as it should be. The bit is cutting as it should. Thanks for your help.