Did I just stumble into hardwood gold?

BeautysBeast

These are the prices I found for hardwood near my TN home. It is from an Amish wood mill. Am I wrong thinking that these prices are pretty amazing?

Green Lumber

Board Sizes Available: 8’/10’/12’
Poplar .65/BF
Oak .75/BF

Please call for pricing on board sizes larger than 12’.

Cedar

$1.65/BF

4/4/8 Cedar Posts:                                $ 15.00

• Kiln Dried Lumber

• Poplar                                         4/4 $1.50
  •  Pine                                    6/4, 8/4 $3.25
  •   Ash                                             4/4 $2.25
    Ash                                      6/4, 8/4 $1.85
    Red Oak                            4/4, 5/4 $2.25
    Red Oak                          6/4, 8/4 $2.85
    Hard Maple                           4/4 $ 2.50
  •                                                       8/4 $3.40
    Cherry                                       4/4 $2.50 
  •                                                      8/4 $3.50
    Walnut                                   4/4 $3.25
    Hickory                                  4/4 $2.50
    Soft Maple                            4/4 $2.20  
  • White Oak                            4/4 $2.50
  •                                                     8/4 $3.40

The place I usually go to is a little cheaper, I've wanted to check out that place but haven't, it's a little over an hour from my place.  @JosephThomas I assume the stuff is cheap since the mills I usually go to are surrounded by the hills full of trees they use, so less cost that way, buy from the source and not a middle man.

3 hours ago, midtnwoodworker said:

Thats about a 3 hr drive for us Richard, but still some pretty good prices.

True, but my guy is closer, and since he and I are drinking buddies, my prices are even lower!  I also understand that down near you in Lawrenceburg there's a ton of Amish mills, we need to check that out!

5 minutes ago, RichardA said:

but my guy is closer, and since he and I are drinking buddies, my prices are even lower!

I need a buddy like that, haha.

54 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

The place I usually go to is a little cheaper, I've wanted to check out that place but haven't, it's a little over an hour from my place.  @JosephThomas I assume the stuff is cheap since the mills I usually go to are surrounded by the hills full of trees they use, so less cost that way, buy from the source and not a middle man.

Yep, makes total sense. No trees within a couple hundred miles of me, so I gotta pay up.  Glad you were able to confirm that these prices are somewhat normal for the area.

22 minutes ago, RichardA said:

True, but my guy is closer, and since he and I are drinking buddies, my prices are even lower!  I also understand that down near you in Lawrenceburg there's a ton of Amish mills, we need to check that out!

There are several out that way, but it is still about 2 hours west of where I am so I have never been to any of them. Later this month I will have about 1500 bdft of walnut,cherry,oak. It will be a little while before it is dry enough to use though. Probably gonna start with the walnut.

Sounds good, like my kind of place.   I have White Oak siding on my house and barn that I built in 1980.  I paid a hundred bucks a thousand for it then from a regular sawmill back then.  It was green, and rough cut, but no woodpecker has ever dented it, and it's all now hard as a rock. 

5 hours ago, midtnwoodworker said:

There are several out that way, but it is still about 2 hours west of where I am so I have never been to any of them. Later this month I will have about 1500 bdft of walnut,cherry,oak. It will be a little while before it is dry enough to use though. Probably gonna start with the walnut.

I've been sitting on three large stacks of walnut planks, just waiting for the rh to go down, meanwhile paying close to $9 bf for it. Worse than watching your hair turn grey!