First real project: Train Table for my kids

erikreagan

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure how I should format or approach these project journals since this is my first one. So I'm gonna just dump some info in here and update as I go. Let me know if there's more or less that I should be sharing (or asking) along the way!

This Christmas we got a wooden train set for my son. He's really digging trains these days, but doesn't have a surface to have it set up on. My wife talked about us buying a train table, but I saw it as an opportunity to try and build something that had more than just 2 or 3 parts. This is kinda my first legit project with woodworking. :)

I'm working from a single 3/4" sheet of Birch plywood I picked up at Home Depot. No clue if that's a good idea or not. I know close to nothing about selecting materials for a project at this point. The table will be painted all white to match my son's other bedroom furniture.

The first thing I did was setup the train set on the floor and measure out what I wanted the surface to be. From there I went into SketchUp and mapped out a few ideas.

Screen-Shot-2016-12-30-at-2.23.48-PM.jpg

My final path is the 3rd table toward the back in the image above. It seemed like the easiest one for me to build given my super beginner status here.

I cut down the top and the skirts to size. Just planning to assemble with pocket holes. (Initially I wanted to miter the corners but I made a box not long ago and the miters sucked. I figured I'd work on that again on another project. For this one I didn't care too much about end grain showing.)

After cutting the top to size, I did a double check that the train set would fit.

IMG_9226.JPG

So that worked out. :)

Lastly, so far, tonight I assembled the skirts to the surface. I sanded the bottom down and cleaned it off. Then I had to call it a night to hang out with the family.

Tomorrow morning I should be able to finish up the top. Then moving on to cutting the legs to size and joining those up!

I'll report back after the next steps. :)

• Like 2

the size worked out - so that is good!

looks good so far

journal is just that - a journey through your project. as much as you want to include.

(don't get put off from some of the more advanced workers on here. show what you are doing and the result. it is all good. master craftsman and beginners - they are all welcome here. everyone loves a journal - regardless of what is about.):D

what are you going to do to cover the pocket hole screws?

2 minutes ago, Chet K said:

Nice journal so far Erik  The little guy is going to be happy when it is done.

Thanks, Chet!

12 minutes ago, ghost said:

what are you going to do to cover the pocket hole screws?

I've been on the fence about covering those or not since it's on the bottom. Would it be a bad idea not to?

How much of a reveal do you have on the underside of the table where you are showing to attach the legs? By eyeballing proportions it looks like you've got 1 1/2" - 2"? (I.e. how much glue surface are we looking at) Also, how tall are the legs ~18"? It looks like there could be a potential for enough lateral force (over time) to eventually cause a leg to come loose. You could always go back to HD and purchase some of their pre-made small table legs and trim them to what ever size you need them to be. I think a solid wood leg would be more sturdy but they may not be what you're going for either. I also tend to over-engineer the crap out of stuff.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...