xylophone

Chet

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Cool project, Chet ! Did you also make the mallets ?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Well sort of.  It is a wooden drawer pull that I drilled a hole in an glued a length of walnut dowel, wiped on some shellac and sprayed with rattle can lacquer.  

3 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Chet, maybe you could alleviate a small part of the OCD anxiety by using Torx (star) head screws to hide the fact they aren't 'clocked'!

That would have been a good idea.  The ones that came with the kit were Robinson (square) and I thought it might not be too bad, but there they are starring at me. :)

• Like 1

I used to play the marimba years ago, and the ones he's made (or at least demos), sound beautiful.    My mother was a pianist (as a hobby), and one of her prized possessions is the upright piano Dad got her for one of the anniversaries or birthdays or whatever long ago.   If she really takes to the smaller bell set there, then a full sized one might be right up her alley.   And given your woodworking background, you could easily end up with a Marimba that could become a collectors piece. 

That and the mellow harmonics of a Marimba are much easier to tolerate listen to, rather than the head piercing ding of those bells.