Let's talk chisels

Llama

I am going to purchase some nice bevel edge chisels very soon. I am very partial to Lie-Nielsen, so I will very likely buy those. Only choice there is A2 or O1.

I am also going to buy a couple (at least one) mortising chisel. I know I need a good 1/4" and maybe a 3/8 for larger pieces.

Is there another set I should look at?

Thanks!

Hello Mel,

So far I have only used cheaper plastic handled chisels which to be fair have always been OK. Those LN socket chisels would be a dream to own, if you want a different option Stanley offer a Sweetheart socket chisel which is almost identical. Bearing in mind LN used the old original Stanley socket chisels as a foundation for their range. 

• Like 1

I went to look on ebay for a single Stanley no. 750 for you, and saw this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-16-793-Sweetheart-750-Series-Socket-Chisel-8-Piece-Set-/400519426615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d40d17237

I wish I had bought my Wood Is Good mallets many years ago.  If I had, I'd still have all the chisels I've ever bought.

A2 or O1 won't have any effect at all on the work you end up with.  A2 will hold and edge longer, but take longer to sharpen.  I have some of each, and it doesn't make much difference in the end.

• Like 1

I've got 3 of the LN bevel edge chisels, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4. All in O1, easy to sharpen lovely to hold. In fact the handles were the deciding factor for me; I've got small hands for a man. I love them, in hindsight as my sharpening skills have improved and I have settled on lapping film for sharpening A2 steel might have been better especially when paring mortises, however it's a good excuse to buy LN mortise chisels!

• Like 1

Darren... I was thinking of something similar based on what I heard from Chris Schwarz... He stated that most work can be done with two chisels. A 1/4 and a 3/4. I would also pick up a 1/4 mortise chisel.

This makes sense for two reasons. There is no savings with buying the set. I can always buy more as my budget allows, and I already have a decent selection of old chisels. Mostly bigger ones.

And I need a good mallet. I really want the blue spruce one Chris S recommends.

Can't go wrong with the LN chisels...I'm picking up a set of mortisers as soon as I can.  The Veritas chisels Pug mentioned I've heard are really awesome, though I've never laid hands on them.  Only other option I'd consider is a nice set of Japanese chisels.  I love mine.  Check out Craftsman Studio or Hida Tool if you wanna look into the Japanese route.

For bench chisels, I'd start with a set of four...1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" OR 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1"...you'll wish you had a wider one and a skinnier one at some point and you can add on later.

• Like 1

For bench chisels, I'd start with a set of four...1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" OR 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1"...you'll wish you had a wider one and a skinnier one at some point and you can add on later.

+1

I use my 3/8 chisel a lot, at least as much as much 3/4. I like having a set of at least 4. My wife bought me a set of 7 as a gift, but I regularly use only 4 of them (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4). The other sizes get occasional use, and are nice to have, but not really a necessity for me.

I feel a OP derail on the cards. Due to the larger scale of my work 1" or 11/4" are the first ones I reach for.

I have some on that size that I use mainy for paring. I am really just upgrading my most commonly used (smaller) chisels. I do not currently own any mortising chisels.

I'd buy the full set of LN if I had the cash right now. eBay is no good because the prices there are so close to new for them.

I'd like to try the Japanese style before I buy them. I'm a big guy with big hands! I've read that they are better suited to smaller hands.

+1 for trying to find tools for big hands. Kind of tired of my knuckles dragging on plane irons and saw handles as far as that topic is concerned. With chisels I think it's like women (or vice versa.) Every individual has their own preference. I only care about widths. I rely on sharpness. If it is sharp, I'll tap it with a hammer and never need enough force to split a handle. If it stays sharp longer, it takes longer to hone. I keep a stone in my kit and plan on touching it up when I stop for coffee or a sandwich. I buy cheap chisels and they've never let me down.

• Like 1

Sorry, didn't mean my question as a derail.  In part, I'm tired of the consistent answer to every question being either LV or Veritas.  In another part, I have a similar interest in the question and wanted to suggest another brand that I've heard some good but not enough about.

I have no way of making comparisons, because I only have these, but I am very pleased with the Narex bevel edge and mortice chisels I bought. I think they are excellent value for money. You have to do a bit of work to begin with, and they get better after a few sharpenings. Yes, I'm also a sucker for chisel sets B)

John

John, 

I hear very good things about the Narex 

Does anyone have or use 2 Cherries chisels?  I'm interested in them but would like to hear from a current user.

They look good and high carbon steel gets very sharp but has less edge retention (so I hear). Must say I think they look very nice.

When I started work in the late 90's I had a set of these (when they were still just marples). I still have the 1/2" although it is a little stubby

I now have a set of these for work and they seem just fine. The metal strike cap is nice for using them with a hammer.

I have a set of these in my tool chest. Really did not expect a thing from them, bought them on a whim. They are actually very good value for money. After purchasing them I saw P Sellers had an article on them too saying they were rather good.

Does anyone have or use 2 Cherries chisels?  I'm interested in them but would like to hear from a current user.

I have two 2 Cherries skew chisels. Left and right hand. They hold their edges well and have nice handles that are comfortable to hold. They were reasonably priced about 1/2 to 2/3rds the price of a LN.

+1 on the best sizes to start with. I have 5 LN bevel chisels in 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 and 3/4 which I use all the time. I could have had the full set of 10 but didn't have enough funds at the time. I have a couple of Sorby 1" bevel edged which meant I didn't need to get the LN 1" anyway.

I own two sets of chisels, the Narex classic bevel edged chisels, and the Stanley socket sweethearts. They both took a little work to flatten the backs initially but since then they have worked very well. I have the Narex's ground for pairing and the Stanley's ground for general bench work that might require some mallet blows. You can get a set of 4 Narex's for less than the price of one LN.

I have to agree with Byrdie, LV and LN are not the best, they are just the most well known. Right now LV has PM-V11 going for them, as they are the only makers I'm aware of who are making chisels out of a powdered metal super alloy. Though I do question if anyone other than a die-hard neander, would need chisels this abrasion & impart resistant. 

LN has nothing really going for them as far as I'm concerned, A2 is no longer cutting edge, and the handles are humdrum.

Personally if i was going to spend the money that LV & LN wanted, id buy somehting more exotic, like hand forged Barr chisels, or art gallery quality Blue spruce chisels.

In reality if i had to buy some chisels tomorrow , I'd buy the Ashley Iles Mk2 bevel edged chisels from  tools for working wood.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TBBC/item/IL-100-40.XX/Mk2_Beveled_Edge_Bench_Chisels_by_Ashley_Iles

They are reasonably priced, have nice Bubinga handles, and are kind of a cross between Japanese and western chisels, as the back is slightly hollow ground.

• Like 1

I recall my local hardware store going out of business, and they were selling the Two Cherries set for what seemed like alot of money to me at the time. In hindsight, I am sure they were a great deal! I actually regret not buying them.

As for my obsession with LN, I can't explain it. I am just drunk with love with that company right now. :) Heck, I just bought the shop apron from them, and I know there are better deals out there! :) Oh, it is a great shop apron btw.

I think what it really comes down to is this. I love my LN hand planes. I am really crazy about things matching. I wish there was a decent woodworking store that had all of the chisels you guys spoke about. I know with the LN I will get a good product. And if it isn't, I'll mail it back for another one.

I am not against LV by any stretch, I have their twin-screw vise and I love it. Right now I have it installed on a bench I made with 2x4's and a top I grabbed from work. I even used 2x10's for the vise faces. Works great! It's my second "prototype" bench :)

Dan...

I looked at the Blue Spruce chisels, and I really like the looks, and I am sure they are great! They are not in stock right now due to issues with a supplier????  I will probably order the mallet from those guys though. 

Dan...

I looked at the Blue Spruce chisels, and I really like the looks, and I am sure they are great! They are not in stock right now due to issues with a supplier????  I will probably order the mallet from those guys though. 

I noticed that, My guess would be they are having an issue with whoever is making the blades for them.

I noticed that, My guess would be they are having an issue with whoever is making the blades for them.

That was my assumption... That does kind of bother me to be honest. On one hand, I am glad they are making sure the quality is perfect before releasing more chisels into the market, on the other hand I am not a patient man :)

It's been frustrating waiting on those issues to be resolved.  Dave is a great guy to work with.  I finally (yesterday) ordered a couple of LN chisels.  Hopefully 'later this summer' isn't too far away.  That said I have two Blue Spruce bench chisels (1/4" and 3/4") and they have been great to use.  Just ordered a long paring chisel that I stoked to try out.

Ok... I just ordered a 1/4, 3/8 and 3/4 bench chisel, as well as a 1/4 mortising chisel from Lie-Nielsen. I also couldn't help myself... I bought a hat too.

We'll see how I like them. If they are as great as I hear they are, I'll order the others in time.

I really appreciate every ones opinion and advice here. In the end, I couldn't be swayed.

Thank you!

I also just ordered a Blue Spruce Mallet. This was an expensive night! Now I just have to get back in the shop, and make some stuff!

Darn Schwarz! I just watched a video, and he stated that you only need two. 1/4 and a 3/4. Now he is saying a half! I sure do like the Schwarz, but he should make up his mind! :)

In all seriousness, I am sure I'll be ok for a while with the chisels I chose. :)