Let's talk about dogs.

Llama

Mel, I've had this discussion many times with my local woodworker pals.

The main reason we came up with for square dog holes is that if you want to make your own dogs, it's a whole lot easier to add a spring to a square dog than a round one.

There was also a slight argument for the square dog staying... well, square... to the project.

I believe Marc covers this briefly in the video called "why I hate my bench" or "why I need a new bench" or something like that.

Personally, I have square dogs and round dogs in my bench, they are both pretty valuable. I like the square dogs across the front for pinching work pieces, but you can't beat the holdfast for quickly locking something down so stick some round dogs in the middle parts of you bench.. hey, just one guys opinion.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Eric.

Real Men Make their own dogs.

I'm actually somewhat surprised at you Mel. You seem like a "I'll build that damned thing myself" kind of guy. Didn't figure you to wimp-out.

Of course I still think you need a half dozen round holes in the middle parts of your bench to whack a holdfast down into.

That's right.  Milkshakes are food, and dorks use round dogs.  Those 3/4" holes in benches are for holdfasts.

In all seriousness...the less metal there is in the way of my expensive hand planes, the happier I am.  And I'd hate to be a round dog dork.

If you're going to MAKE the dogs, why not just make the square ones?  Man, do you over-complicate everything or what? :D

Man, do you over-complicate everything or what? :D

Precisely why I like the round dogs... Not as complicated. Ash dowel, cut a face and away we go! Not routing dogs all day, or routing benches to accept the square ones. Just a hole and a dowel, what's easier than that?

• Like 1

Round bench dogs can be as simple as 3/4" dowel with a bit of scrap on top. No spring necessary. Easy peasy. No metal.

then you have to remove and store when not in use. When sprung, they tuck away, and you dont lose them, and you dont fiddle looking for them when you need to secure a workpiece.