Let's talk about dogs.

Llama

I like the idea of full slides much more than drawers. The downside to that is my doors would have to be fully opened in to get the slide out. If it wasn't for the sawdust getting in the bench, I'd be tempted to keep the doors off the bench. I like the open look. 

I've just ordered Veritas hardware for my upcoming bench build. Like Mel, I plan to build at least 1 more bench after we move and I have more space for a bigger bench.

I spent way more time on this question than I should have, and since this isn't a lifetime bench, decided to go with round dogs, purely for the ease of construction.

The only woman who matters, my wife, already laughs at me on a fairly regular basis. So I'm not losing anything there.

• Like 1

I don't hide anything...she sees the shop on a daily basis. :D   Hey, what she doesn't know won't hurt her.  I'm honest with her about everything else in our marriage, but she doesn't need to know how much a LN#7 costs.  She just doesn't need to know that. LOL

Funny my bride never gets on me about the cost of tools. Only about the time that I spend in the shop. Not that she minds so much but she teases me because I often say "Hey honey, I'm heading to the shop. I'll be back in 2 hours."

Then 6 hours later when I return she asks me if the clock in my shop is still working. To which I sheepishly say. "Sorry, lost track of time again."

Funny my bride never gets on me about the cost of tools. Only about the time that I spend in the shop. Not that she minds so much but she teases me because I often say "Hey honey, I'm heading to the shop. I'll be back in 2 hours."

Then 6 hours later when I return she asks me if the clock in my shop is still working. To which I sheepishly say. "Sorry, lost track of time again."

Sounds familiar Chet! 

Going back to the original question, I've had both, and both work. My current bench has square and one very real advantage is in planing very thin stock. Such as in splines, for small inlays, etc. The square dog made of wood lets me plane down to very, very thin narrow strips, I may have to use double sided tape on the thinest pieces, but it works.

• Like 1

Going back to the original question, I've had both, and both work. My current bench has square and one very real advantage is in planing very thin stock. Such as in splines, for small inlays, etc. The square dog made of wood lets me plane down to very, very thin narrow strips, I may have to use double sided tape on the thinest pieces, but it works.

Thank you. This does make sense! 

My round dogs are made of wood. - I even have some with square tops on them for the thin stuff so there's more surface area.

Round does not mean metal.

• Like 2

Jeez, this is starting to look like an SMC thread!  I have round, for my next bench I might make round I might make square, I really don't care all that much.

One question for square dog users though (specifically those who prep their stock from the rough with planes). When I am planing a piece of rough saw stock the end grain ends often aren't parallel to eachother. When clamping between dogs having round dogs allows the full face of the dog to register against the work piece ends since they can rotate to match the angle of the end grain.  Is this (or odd shaped work in general) not ever an issue with square dogs or do you just make sure straighten one edge and  to nip the ends of your boards square before you begin to face plane?