Let's talk about dogs.

Llama

Yes, "Dutch" is a corruption of the word Deutsch which described the Germans who settled in Pennsylvania, as in sprechen sie deutsch?

They were not from the Netherlands.

I didn't know that...nice factoid.  I always assumed Pennsylvania Dutch meant they were Dutch people who settled in Pennsylvania.  I guess that's something I should have known, given my last name is Deutsch. :)   And no I can't sprechen sie Deutsch...I'm Amurikin.  :lol:   Thanks for the history lesson!

I might just add one.  And maybe a high Janka dog strip while I'm at it!

Yeah dude. Live the dream! 

A wooden hand screw can also turn a kitchen counter into a decent workbench... :D...

A photo from about 4 or so years ago when I was first learning to cut dovetails...before I had a dedicated workbench. It has drawers so I guess that makes it Shaker.

post-4431-0-51171900-1389278026_thumb.jp

When I left the fatherland I started spelling in English or else I surely might have typed Pennsilfaanisch Deitsch. Or we could scream back and forth about Georg Händel vs George Handel. I tend to write about people the way they talk about themselves. You could try to crawl into ole Guerney's grave and tell him he was mispronouncing it. I would like to watch

==>In that case, I'd name it after my dad not a dead Frenchman.

Not sure what point you're trying to make...

As common practice, when identifying my fathers/grandfather's bench as being French(Roubo), Scandinavian, German, etc I'm speaking in terms of taxonomy*.... Woodworkers normally associate certain properties as derived from an ancestral form and associate benches incorporating those properties to a given taxa (Roubo, Shaker, etc)...

My grandfather's bench was clearly derived from Plate 11, but he removed the crochet and installed a leg vise -- similar to Fig 3&4. My dad derived his bench from his father's, but added a tail vise... So now, you've got Plate 11 with both a leg and tail vises --- strikingly similar to Benchcrafted's non-split-top-Roubo... 

My first bench was derived from my father's, but I substituted a Veritas Twin-screw vise... Which was a mistake...

My current bench is an implementation of Benchcrafted's Split-top Roubo...

Hence I call my bench Roubo, recognizing it's ancestry...

*derived from shared descent from common ancestors