New framing square! One time Tool.

wdwerker

How does a framing square get out of square?

By not being square in the first place?

By getting sprung (twisted or bent)?

I've got a pair of them from auctions/garage sales that are just fine.

Can't imagine spending a lot of money on one.

By dropping it. By clamping it to a piece and then setting other clamps. The longer the square the more likely it will go out of square for whatever reason. Easily fixed though, a few strokes here and there.

The amount of money some spend on tools (and I'm just joking, not judging) one might think they would hold it on their laps at night and pet it or scratch it behind the ears or some other sign of affection.

That said, I've been known to sit and fiddle with my 4x5 just for the pleasure of it.  So I'm not really any different.

Some people find woodworking more enjoyable when using high quality tools.  As long as your kids have full bellies and shoes on their feet, there's no crime in it.

One thing that seems to be overlooked here is that the Woodpecker's square has a lip so that it can register perfectly on the reference edge.  Regular framing squares are just flat pieces of metal so your registration is never dead nuts.  Which is fine for construction but for furniture making can be problematic...depending on how picky you are.

Some people find woodworking more enjoyable when using high quality tools.  As long as your kids have full bellies and shoes on their feet, there's no crime in it.

One thing that seems to be overlooked here is that the Woodpecker's square has a lip so that it can register perfectly on the reference edge.  Regular framing squares are just flat pieces of metal so your registration is never dead nuts.  Which is fine for construction but for furniture making can be problematic...depending on how picky you are.

Of course.

I bought mostly for use with better lining up my tracksaw rails when breaking down sheet goods, and cases for cabinets. The size and ability to stand on it's own and register against a larger surface is rather appealing. While costly, it's a "one time" purchase

The problem with this square is that you can't securely clamp it to the board (2 clamps required). You will always need one hand to hold the square. So you will be basically aligning the rails with your other hand and never be able to walk to the other end of the rail while keeping the square in position.

The problem with this square is that you can't securely clamp it to the board (2 clamps required). You will always need one hand to hold the square. So you will be basically aligning the rails with your other hand and never be able to walk to the other end of the rail while keeping the square in position.

Huh?  why do you need to walk to the other side?

When setting up a long straight edge I always walk to the other side and check for squareness there.

Yeah could just be different work flows.  When I'm setting up a track saw, either I've already ripped to width so I know the sides are parallel, or I haven't ripped to width yet so I don't care if they're parallel (as long as the track is square to one side).  In either case I'm only checking one side for square.

• Like 1

Yeah could just be different work flows.  When I'm setting up a track saw, either I've already ripped to width so I know the sides are parallel, or I haven't ripped to width yet so I don't care if they're parallel (as long as the track is square to one side).  In either case I'm only checking one side for square.

I messed up so many long cuts that I always perform some sort of validation on the other end. Even if it's just measuring or checking with a combination square from the parallel edge.