Which dust collector to buy?

Pwalter5110

I went with the Grizzly G0548ZP almost a year ago. Other than being loud, it works really well. So how loud is it? I use to have a Jet DC650. I only used hearing protection when using it with my table saw and jointer. Now I wear protection anytime I use my dust collector.

Adam

==>It would be nice if everyone could compare things side-by-side to better judge what works best for them. Freight, return fees and etc don't make that a possibility a lot of time. 

That's where local woodworking clubs can come in handy. Many times you can arrange a shop visit to see their kit... Can be a real help in purchasing decisions...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pat !

Just wanted to let you know I have the Jet dc-1100vx with vortex cone. I have to tell ya its a good dc, I move mine around the shop from tool to tool. Iam kinda in your shoes too I would like to someday have everything set and have Norfab run to everything. I have also talked to Oneida,might be worth a phone call just to talk to them,but its not cheap. My whole thing is I think you get what you pay for and I just want to do that once!! Hope this helps a little, but bottom line Jet makes a good dc

Yeah, I also hear a lot of rave reviews about the HF DC.  But I wonder what they're comparing it to?  Possibly nothing?  That DC compared to nothing is going to be great.  Or perhaps they're comparing it to a shop-vac.  That comparison would be favorable, too.

It is, after all, a Harbor Freight machine.  It goes without saying they sell complete junk.  But at that price, it's probably worth the gamble.  Maybe buy four of them, one for each machine. :D

I agree with Harbor Freight and I won't argue that the Grizzly is better for not much more, but I can vouch that the HF DC is one of their better items and a better performer than you might think...provided you get a good unit to begin with. Been running mine for a few years now, even with a simple blast-gated duct system to five tools in a *small* shop. Sure there's a compromise in air flow and I've taken considerations and optimized runs where possible, but all that matters to me in the end is if all the dust - thick and fine - is collected at the other end and it successfully does that. 

Even if the DC craps out tomorrow, I've felt I've gotten my money's worth and not a large enough loss to regret.  My next DC and my ducting will undoubtedly be something far better as I'll have a bigger shop someday. HF tools are disposable and I wouldn't trust too many of them, but of the ones I would, they'll get you in the game at least. But to anyone considering the HF, you should know the drill: 20% coupon only.

• Like 1

For $180, after coupon, the HF DC is better than no DC at all.  For me, and I tend to believe for many other hobbyists, DC is often one of the last purchases.  I now have 2 DCs, a small Rikon 1HP DC that I direct connect to either the planer or bandsaw.  The second, is the HF DC.  While I haven't compared it to similar machines, I would rate it as effective.  Mine is permanently connected to the TS and jointer, each with a blast gate.  The jointer, before I got the HF DC, I also direct connected it to the small Rikon, the TS was an old style open bottom.  The results are with this setup, the jointer DC is just as, and probably more effective than the Rikon.  The TS has been completely transformed, as everything that was dropped to the floor before is now going directly to the bag. 

That said, the HF DC will probably be the only tool with a motor I will ever buy from HF.   My decision to buy it was a cost factor as well as the multitude of favorable reviews on it.  How it compares to other HF is the same classification, which really would be anything in a 1.5HP range, I don't know.  It would be interesting to do a side by side, apples to apples test to see how it does compare.  Anyone want to bring over a 1.5HP DC to try it?  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Jumping on this thread: I'm pretty new to the dust collection game. I've got a shop vac which works... OK. I have a DW735 and just use the built in ejection fan, a bench top table saw, and old powermatic 8" jointer, a 14" bandsaw and Rigid drill press. I use the shop vac on the table saw and everything else I use a dust mask, if anything. I'd like to step up to a cabinet saw in the not to distant future. My shop is in the basement and is about 20x10 + 8x9.

I've convinced myself I need to get a proper dust collector. My biggest limitation is that I have 220 in the shop, but only one circuit. And I'm not really psyched about getting a second circuit installled. The Jet/Powermatic sale (especially the super deal on at amazon) has me looking at the Jet DC-1100VX-CK. 500 shipped seems a solid price. 

FWW suggested it's a little underpowered (http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/product-finder/jet-vortex-cone-dust-collector.aspx)

The only "better" options at 110 I see are the powermatic which is about another $100, but a pretty similar machine or the grizzly cyclone, but at 900 shipped it's almost double the jet. Frankly, I think a dust collector has got to be the most boring tool I can imagine buying and I'd rather save the a cabinet saw.

Tad I saw you like the machine, any other thoughts? 

And when your carbide impeller gets dull you can just rotate it.

I prefer a hollow ground impeller with a bit of a back bevel. I sharpen mine with a 100,000 grit waterstone and hone the back of the fins to a mirror finish.  Really its not fine woodworking otherwise. 

• 6 years later...