Sharpening Stations

Eric.

Before my time, my old neighborhood in philly had an old Italian guy that would go door to door with a foot powered grind wheel and would sharpen your knives.

Where's the chisel/plane iron version of that guy today?

It's-a-me! Sharpen you blades. Sharpen you blades.

Who wants-a-the micro-bevel? Lookada botchagalloop on-a- the stoop with-a-the kunz #80.

I'd be laughing if half my family didn't sound exactly like that.

I had a guy like that growing up, except he used a powered bench grinder in his truck. In hindsight he couldn't sharpen worth a damn, ruined my boyscout knife by over heating the steel and making the edge brittle.

==>^^^

That was my exact waterstone setup for over a decade… Except I had an orange bucket...

In all that time, I [probably] never changed the water – just kept adding more and occasionally added a cap-full of household bleach – the water was more like sludge and completely opaque --- you selected a stone by feel… ahhh, the joys of O1 steel and clay-matrix waterstones…

Along came A2, cryo-A2, D2 and the rest of the gang… Now I’ve got individual stones that cost more than my bucket-load of clay that can’t be soaked, have to be stored dry in individual color-coded cases – which I immediately tossed as a matter of principal…

I’m not sure fancy new steels and exotic stones are truly progress: I whack the chisel, it cuts the wood...

• Like 2

I’m not sure fancy new steels and exotic stones are truly progress: I whack the chisel, it cuts the wood...

Agreed, nothing wrong with A2 etc at all but that's what it comes down to. From a time perspective how much to have a dedicated area, a few modern stones with advanced abrasives. In addition a partially used 01 or whatever set of chisels, plane irons put to one side because a new edge lasts a little longer? Of course experimentation can be fun, I know I've spent time trying stuff out and "reviewing" too. It's helped me become better informed but being honest it's all splitting hairs.

• Like 1

Exactly, I took photos of Frank's box (that sounds funny...) and made my own version. With Shapton stones, a light spritz from a small water bottle is all I need then wipe off the stone.  With that in mind, I don't actually fill the box with water.

Did you use the wire trick to create the sealing bead that expands when wet? I saw him do it at WIA last year and it blew my mind!