Show us your "Rack"!

ChetlovesMer

Well here they are - my entire 'holding' capabilities in all their glory! Total cost was less than £20.

post-15398-0-45429400-1417510380_thumb.j

Note the 1cm difference between the front 2x4 and the rest. This acts as a very long bench dog...Ok, it's a cheap crappy bit of timber but it was free and will do until I get something better. Yes, I know - technically the clips aren't clamps but I had to do something to boost the numbers :lol: Yes again - I know the big c clamps are bent but they are very good at weighing things down!

• Like 1

Well here they are - my entire 'holding' capabilities in all their glory! Total cost was less than £20.

attachicon.gifClamping.jpg

Note the 1cm difference between the front 2x4 and the rest. This acts as a very long bench dog...Ok, it's a cheap crappy bit of timber but it was free and will do until I get something better. Yes, I know - technically the clips aren't clamps but I had to do something to boost the numbers :lol: Yes again - I know the big c clamps are bent but they are very good at weighing things down!

Well what can I say, Dave?...that's just a sad collection right there.  One of them is a caulk gun. LMAO!

• Like 1

Well what can I say, Dave?...that's just a sad collection right there.  One of them is a caulk gun. LMAO!

WOW - a compliment from Eric :D That is a Quick Clamp and are fairly common over here in the UK. When they first came out they were something like £1 each, now about £5-£7. They look like c**p but can exert a heck of a lot of pressure.

That actually made me laugh so hard I cried. I've actually never seen a clamp like that, but I thought it was a caulk gun at first. 

Dave, you're a hand tool only kind of guy right? What types of builds do you do?

Yep, hand tools only. Partly due to space restrictions (7' x 4.5' maximum area so no space for anything else) and partly due to costs (monthly budget of about £15 for woodworking). I only started to get back into woodworking when I moved to this cottage about a year ago and to date the only thing I've built is the most sorry looking workbench from rough sawn 2x4 construction lumber that I got for free. I've also done a few repairs to furniture for a local charity. Most of my time has been spent collecting planes (about 15 mainly woodies), saws (10 at the last count)and chisels (no idea how many) on ebay or local car boots that I've been slowly but surely getting back into some semblance of working order. Next skill I've got to start on is saw sharpening. Once I've got the saws sharpened then I plan on building some cabinets for the tools to live in rather than taking up valuable space in my living room.

In the meantime I get my 'fix' by drooling over the various builds - that and turning a pine log into shavings just to test my sharpening skills :)

Well, my goldmine arrived today.  Went from 0 to 16 parallel clamps.  Was happy they got here so fast.  Only problem is that, on two of the clamps, the bolt/knob that locks down the adjustable leveling foot was broken.  Not a huge issue, just dont really want to spend the time digging through my machine screw box to see if I have any bolts that would fit.

The clamp bar has a dirty grease/oil all over it.  I'm going to clean it off as I know that crap will transfer from my hands to the wood at some point.  I assume some mineral oil on a rag will take it right off.  Then its paste wax for all.

I guess I need to build a rack, take some pics, find some wall space and watch Marc's clamp rack videos now; not necessarily in that order.

Well, my goldmine arrived today.  Went from 0 to 16 parallel clamps.  Was happy they got here so fast.  Only problem is that, on two of the clamps, the bolt/knob that locks down the adjustable leveling foot was broken.  Not a huge issue, just dont really want to spend the time digging through my machine screw box to see if I have any bolts that would fit.

The clamp bar has a dirty grease/oil all over it.  I'm going to clean it off as I know that crap will transfer from my hands to the wood at some point.  I assume some mineral oil on a rag will take it right off.  Then its paste wax for all.

I guess I need to build a rack, take some pics, find some wall space and watch Marc's clamp rack videos now; not necessarily in that order.

I got 10 clamps today (left the boxes on my stoop in the rain and not under my porch) and 4 yesterday. I cleaned that grease off with a rag and some mineral spirits. I would suggest calling Jet and they should send you new feet.

Got half my order today...on two of the shorter clamps, one is cracked on the face and cannot be opened...it seems seized/jammed shut.

The other bar has some rough patches on the side (cosmetic) but also smooth surfaces every so often where there should be grooves. Needless to say, kinda bummed about that.

Suggestions on calling the retailer or going right to jet?

post-16249-0-76534400-1417573900_thumb.j

post-16249-0-81067100-1417573967_thumb.jpost-16249-0-39352900-1417573979_thumb.j