Show us your "Rack"!

ChetlovesMer

Got four clamp storage groups:

F-style, twin-screw, quick-clamps, pony-clamps, small K-body and a few others… This is my 'go-to' rack..

clamps-2_zpsd911d8f2.jpg

clamps-4_zps84ff819b.jpg

K-body 36”, 48", 60"…
clamps2_zpsd6560d7b.jpg

72” pipe and deep-reach pipe clamps…
clamps_zpsba46ede6.jpg

I've also got a set of 10’ pipe clamps that live in the woodshed and only see the light of day about twice a year… Sorry, it's snowing so no photos...

Now before anyone states the obvious, Yes -- I've got a lot of clamps... I don’t exactly know how many, and neither does my wife… :)

Why do I have so many? A few years ago, I decided that I was done with Shaker, Mission, etc... I abandoned the 90* dogma and got into bent lams, torsion box construction, etc... This was before I got a vac setup... I was using 50, 60, 70 clamps per glue-up...

And the next question: Yes, I’ve run out of clamps --- I had a bent lam that needed about 70 clamps per form – and there were four forms… I was getting more and more into curved work. I was so tired of 70-clamp setups... I started to look seriously at vac setups... Now, I'd never go back...

And… Yes, now that I’ve got a vacuum setup, I don't need so many clamps --- I'll eBay around fifty over the next few months…

• Like 2

I had a bent lam that needed about 70 clamps per form – and there were four forms…

I'll eBay around fifty over the next few months…

Two things...

1) I'd love to see a photo of a 70-clamp glue up purely for the entertainment factor.

2) You should offer clamps for sale here. I bet you could move them and maybe batch some shipping (if say multiple of us Chicago people got some).

==>Any pics of a 70- clamp glue up?

==>purely for the entertainment factor

Sorry, no photos of that nightmare… Wasn’t even my project – just doing a ‘little favor’ for my brother-in-law… If I remember, I’ll shoot a photo of the repair next summer… We were replacing some compromised hull members… And, of course, they’re about 30’ long… Note to self: there are no ‘little favors’ when it comes to boat repair… We used 105/209 to give us about an hour working time, but it was still a nightmare…

==>Can't imagine 70

Actually, when you get involved with wooden boats, 70 clamps isn't all that many... There's a great boat restoration museum in CT: http://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/shipyard/. If you ever want to watch craftsman who actually know what they’re doing, this is a good place to visit… Watching a 50' mast being turned gives you an entirely new perspective... Tucked in a corner is a real gem: http://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/shipyard/boat-shop/. If you’re in the area, they offer very good courses on wooden boat repair, marine finishing, etc… http://www.mysticseaport.org/event/traditional-boat-building/

==>you sell any original K-Body clamps

Not planning on selling any Ks... I use them like crazy... It's the Fs that are gathering dust (and there are far more of them)... They really are handy for bent lams...

==>offer clamps for sale here

That's a good point...

Well I couldn't stand watching you people have all the fun any longer so I spent about $500 at LN and LV this morning. Of course none of it was on sale and I have a whopping five items coming to me. Thanks a lot guys.

Well what did you get from each? I'm working on my Christmas list and could use some ideas...