Show us your "Rack"!

ChetlovesMer

What's the rule of 4?

not exactly sure, Im new here, someone stated earlier during the "clamp sale"portion of this discussion, when ordering or buying clamps it alway had to be done in multiples of 4…

after glueing up some panels I noticed I had 8-24"clamps and 5-36" evoking some sort of curse on myself…

Soto start my collection I am getting in on the 50% off sale soon and was thinking 4 30" and maybe 2 18" and 2 48" ??? Not sure where to start it off at ...

I'd skip the 18s and get 2 more 48s.

I use my 30s more than any other but, when you need the longer ones, the shorter ones don't help.

• Like 1

I'd skip the 18s and get 2 more 48s.

I use my 30s more than any other but, when you need the longer ones, the shorter ones don't help.

I agree with this some what, depends on what a guy is going to build and how much space he has, 30" clamps on a cutting board could be a bit awkward on a small bench against the wall.

I think I would start with 4 -48" and 4 -30" . The shorter clamps are quite handy but you can do so much more with the mid size ones.

Casework and furniture quickly gets over 24" and it's not that hard to tolerate a longer clamp sticking out.

I didn't have any short parallel clamps until 6 or 7 years ago. My first Bessey's are almost 25 years old.

I agree with this some what, depends on what a guy is going to build and how much space he has, 30" clamps on a cutting board could be a bit awkward on a small bench against the wall.

Regardless of what you're building, you're probably going to build something that requires longer clamps.  If you don't have them, you're hooped.  Yes, the longer ones are a PITA on the small stuff but, they still work.  The short ones never work on the bigger projects.