A great lesson in workflow and efficiency

My reindeer for rescues plan is going exceptionally. I had my largest order picked up just now and the woman asked me what other things I can make. I showed her some turnings, walking sticks, and a scroll saw bowl/basket that I made and she "reserved" an order for a scroll saw bowl to be done by christmas.

• Like 1

I do all my milling first. 

I resaw some 8/4 into 1 1/8" thick blank

then I rip 2" wide strips

then I cut them to 5 1/2" long blanks

I have a front and side profile template made of 1/2" MDF. I trace it on then then stack em up.

I use an Olsen 3/16 10 tpi blade with a Carter Blade stabilizer. I know the tooth count is high for thick wood, but my options are 

1/4" Olson 8tpi (Has a little tiny kink in it that doesn't do well for tight scrolling) 

3/8" Timberwolf 3-4 Skip tooth (Green wood, general purpose, cutting bowl blanks)

1/2" 6 TPI General purpose blade that came with the saw 

3/4" Timberwolf 3-4 Skip tooth (Resawing)

I do all my milling first. 

I resaw some 8/4 into 1 1/8" thick blank

then I rip 2" wide strips

You don't find these steps superfluous since the excess gets cut away anyway?  I cut mine out of all different sized blanks.  As long as it's big enough and it's square, it doesn't matter. 

You don't find these steps superfluous since the excess gets cut away anyway?  I cut mine out of all different sized blanks.  As long as it's big enough and it's square, it doesn't matter. 

I was originally just tossing out lots of excess. After I resawed the 8/4 down I was left with usable cherry and walnut boards. Less wasted material that I could use for other things like boxes, etc.