Grizzly bandsaws - free shipping - should I?

bushwacked

Just saw the Christmas sale and noticed the bandsaw we have talked a lot about has free shipping. Is this probably going to be the best deal on this bandsaw and one of the better deals on any bandsaw under $1k this Christmas?

a743bfea9a5b87881b8e8179ed266092.jpg

If so I think I will be hitting the buy now button. How long does setup and truing it up take? An all day job or what?

Also, will I need to upgrade the blade for best performance or should I worry about better blades later? If the stock blade sucks.... What blades should I look into for best quality?

If so I think I will be hitting the buy now button. How long does setup and truing it up take? An all day job or what?

Also, will I need to upgrade the blade for best performance or should I worry about better blades later? If the stock blade sucks.... What blades should I look into for best quality?

Anticipate 4 hours for setup and tuning. 

Upgrading the blade is pretty much a must, however you can use the stock blade for general cutting until you get a new blade, but don't expect great cut quality. 

As far as which blades to get depends on your use of the saw, if you're scrolling you'll need a small 1/8" - 1/4" blade. For general cutting a 3/8" 3-5tpi blade will do the trick.

for resawing on a 1 HP BS, 1/2" or 5/8" 2-3 skip tooth tooth blade would be your best bet. 

Everyone will say different things about what blade to get. Woodslicer, Lenox, Timberwolf, etc. I've used Timberwolf blades mostly with good results, I had a lenox blade on my old saw that was nice. Never tried a woodslicer. 

I'm just heading out the door to go to Grizzly to pick up that saw. A friend of mine's wife bought it for him for Christmas..

Oh really? He's a lucky man haha

Anticipate 4 hours for setup and tuning.

Upgrading the blade is pretty much a must, however you can use the stock blade for general cutting until you get a new blade, but don't expect great cut quality.

As far as which blades to get depends on your use of the saw, if you're scrolling you'll need a small 1/8" - 1/4" blade. For general cutting a 3/8" 3-5tpi blade will do the trick.

for resawing on a 1 HP BS, 1/2" or 5/8" 2-3 skip tooth tooth blade would be your best bet.

Everyone will say different things about what blade to get. Woodslicer, Lenox, Timberwolf, etc. I've used Timberwolf blades mostly with good results, I had a lenox blade on my old saw that was nice. Never tried a woodslicer.

Ya I figured I would pick up a 1/8" and a 3/4" or something bigger for resawing but the only brand I've ever heard of on these blades is timberwolf. So I wanted to ask if there were any better or just all about the same.

Get it. If you are in the market for a good 14" that is probably the best deal going. I have the G0555P, and love it.

Glad to hear it! From all I have heard I will love this too .... Once I get it setup haha

There is no sense at all to use a 3/4" blade on a 14" saw it may even lower cut quality. The tensioners are to light duty to tension a 3/4" blade with out wearing them out prematurely. There is no way you could have the HP to support the feed rate that a 3/4" blade is capable of, wide blade are for faster feed rates but you need the HP to go along with it. Just like resaw height inflated blade widths are pure hype to sell saws not actual capability.

if you need it then you buy it if you don't then you don't buy it. but its one of those tools everyone should have since its so versatile.

Yep I need a bandsaw just looking for the best deal.

Does that saw support 3/4" blades? Even if it does I don't know if it would be able to apply enough tension for one. 1/2" would be the biggest I would use on that saw but that's just my opinion.

There is no sense at all it using a 3/4" blade on a 14" saw it may even lower cut quality. The tensioners are to light duty to tension a 3/4" blade with out wearing them out prematurely. There is no way you could have the HP to support the feed rate that a 3/4" blade is capable of, wide blade are for faster feed rates but you need the HP to go along with it. Just like resaw height inflated blade widths are pure hype to sell saws not actual capability.

Ok 1/2 works for me too. Glad you mentioned that or I probably would not of been happy with the quality.

It does say it accepts 3/4 though.

Blade size: 93-1/2" (1/8" to 3/4" wide)

The saw will physically accommodate a 3/4" blade, but can't properly tension it.

I use a $30 (or so) 1/2" Laguna blade, and I can resaw anything I want to, with great results.

If you are looking to resaw, I would buy the 6" riser block now. Also, a mobile base would be a nice addition depending on how your shop is set up. Easier to do these at one time.

Oh, yes. Get the saw :)

The saw will physically accommodate a 3/4" blade, but can't properly tension it.

I use a $30 (or so) 1/2" Laguna blade, and I can resaw anything I want to, with great results.

If you are looking to resaw, I would buy the 6" riser block now. Also, a mobile base would be a nice addition depending on how your shop is set up. Easier to do these at one time.

Oh, yes. Get the saw :)

Ya I figured it wouldn't be the greatest but I could so it kinda on the 3/4. But after all this I will stick to a 1/2 for sure.

Ok I will look into laguna as well. I figure they make really good bandsaws they should have pretty decent blades too??

Also what kind of packaging is this thing in? A big box or a tall skinny box somewhat put together?

Just debating whether I need lift gate service or if I can just grab it off the truck. Yes I know it says it is 250 pounds bust just curious if I need to spend the extra $34 due to weird shape box I can't get my arms around.

I think Grizzly inflates their shipping weights. I just got another horizontal boring machine to frankenstein  they claim a shipping weight of 200lbs. I easily carried it with straining and doubt it was close to 200lbs. I don't think you will have any problem. Most of the time the driver will help you set it on the ground unless its something crazy heavy.

If you're going to be there when it arrives, you should be fine.

TIODS is buying one now. Hope he can snap a picture of the box.

Ya that would be cool to get a pic or at least an idea on how it travels. Yes I will be here when it arrives since I have to schedule delivery and all that.

If you ha e the Grizzly catalog it has a coupon code on the back. Search for other coupon codes I got mine for 495 or so shipped and it was worth every single penny. I love it

If you are there you are gonna be fine . Skip the lift gate it was in two boxes mostly assembled

Oh I do have the catalog. I will take a look when I get home to see what is on there. Thanks for the heads up.

Great news on 2 boxes that will be easy

I run a 1/4" 6TPI Timberwolf blade in my saw. I do everything with that blade, including some resaw. I echo the others, forget the 3/4" blade as you will never get it tensioned properly.

I will look into that blade as well.

So is there need for a 1/8 - 1/4 and 1/2 blades or possible get away with 1/8 and 1/2?

It's been over 6 years since I sold my G0555 but I believe I used 1/2" 3 TPI for everything except tight curves and used a 3/16" 10 TPI for that. The smaller blade was whatever my bandsaw box book recommended. A lot of people get caught up thinking they need all kinds of blades for a bandsaw when really a couple is usually all you need. 

• Like 2