turning frustration away

Raefco

10877489_817035161670994_729364698_n.jpg nothing fancy, Im just glad I can go to the raefcave angry and frustrated turn on a machine and take it out on some unexpecting wood and, an hour or so later, come up the stairs with a smile on my face.

10850595_817035095004334_1272165763_n.jp

and I'm glad I found this site to give me some ideas…

good night

• Like 2

That is an elegant bit of turning :)

Stress relief is one of the main reasons for my doing things by hand. Just pick up a lump of firewood and start planing. By the time it's become a pile of shavings I've calmed down again. Added bonus is I've got a nice big pile of firestarting kit :)

• Like 2

Awesome looking top, definitely a different design that's for sure.

Turning is a fantastic way of relieving stress and it's a great way to just wing it when you're making something. Last year I was turning between 6-10 hours a day. Did a number on my hands gripping those tools so tight and absorbing any chatter, etc. I was waking up in the middle of the night feeling like my hands were on fire and tingly and numb. Doctor determined it was overuse, everything was fine. I loved every minute of turning though, cranked out tons of fun little things. 

might need to play with the angle then i was using my roughing gouge and there was no chatter it cut strait into wood almost like using a skew i think its because of the angle of my blade.  at least thats what i used when it was turned round.  to get it round i used a carbide scraper that i made.   and i just do that at the tiniest amounts so it wont move on me and stress my arm.  i had thought to look into some kind of system like a metal lathe where there is a fixed point that you slide back and forth across your work and turn it down that way.  then go into using my regular tools.  

if you want to make one, i think captain eddie castalin made a device that mounts to the back of you lathe and lets you hollow out your work with little stress on your shoulder, hand, and arms.  believe he said his doctor said the same thing to him as yours said to you. wonder if this is something i should invent and make millions. 

http://eddiecastelin.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/steelsnake.54183757.pdf

Tools are razor sharp. Carpal tunnel, when I grip things for an extended period of time

You probably know the deal....tool rest close to the stock, tool hitting stock a little below center, relax and let the sharp tool do the work.  Like duck said, use your wrist and experiment with the angle that the tool is hitting the stock. If you're still gripping the tool too hard and tense, try wrapping it with something "cushionny" like the rubber perforated drawer liners BUT don't leave anything loose and hanging that the lathe can grab.

• Like 1

well, I just turned my first "dish" actually, it was a topper for a large spindle I had already turned to make it a candle holder to hold a 4" candle. I must say, I have a new respect for hot glue I had left a piece of round stock on my face plate, I turned it down to the base size i was looking for and hot glued the new blank to it. turned the piece and warmed it with a heat gun and preyed it apart…

when i make tops i put the wood in a chuck and start with the point on the outside facing towards my tail stock i then shape and work my way up the handle.  i leave the handle thicker so that i can sand the wood. when everything else is done i cut the top free from the block of the wood at the top of my handle. i can always shape the hand with sandpaper after it free but its harder to sand that perfectly centered point. more often then not i just use my skew to turn the top free so i end up with a point at the bottom and the top of the handle.