Shop cabinet build

Tom Cancelleri

When I got most of my green, I got it from a guy on the Festool Owners Group forum who was "retiring". He had a bunch of unused Festool laying around and he gave me a great price. You might find some deals on their Classified forums, but they go quickly.

Not much chance of finding a Domino there though. My point is, probably won't find a "sale" unless it's private.

Got in some scraping on my lunch break. Got the outer glue joints scraped flush. Started with my #80 Cabinet scraper. Then busted out the Veritas Variable Burnisher MKII. Put a hook on the scraper is came with. 10 degrees on 1 side, 5 on the other. Then busted out my thin scrapers with a 2 degree for smoothing it out. It'd almost be a bad thing to even sand the face frame. It's so smooth!

87a25a459b3c1224ac0784d6abdb0829.jpg

63c2d8a9ff34de64a2814e3393d6578f.jpg

46e4c95899dfd1108fe7fca0a9b5f220.jpg

Tell me a bit more about the burnisher please - is it as simple as taking a new scraper and running it through? The hook is ready to use?

Yep. Once the edge is clean (filed off old hook and smoothed on stone) or new from the package you put it in a vice or clamp. Dial the Burnisher to the angle you want. 0 for fine smoothing, 5 for general scraping, 10 for heavy scraping and more aggressive removal, 15 for removing finish and paint. Put a tiny bit of oil on the edge. Then you pull it across the edge with slight pressure and it sets the hook. 

Yep. One the edge is clean (filed off old hook and smoothed on stone) or new from the package you put it in a vice or clamp. Dial the Burnisher to the angle you want. 0 for fine smoothing, 5 for general scraping, 10 for heavy scraping and more aggressive removal, 15 for removing finish and paint. Put a tiny bit of oil on the edge. Then you pull it across the edge with slight pressure and it sets the hook.

I just watched Charles Neil demo it. My burnishing a scraper is hit and miss. Gotta have one. Thanks Tom.

• Like 1

From everything I have read about building cabinets they all recommend building the face frame first as it gives a better overall view of what the cabinet will be when finished. Also, based on how I'm attaching the face frame to the case, with the face frame being square, everything behind the face will be square. The cases are going to be built piece by piece after being attached to the frame. 

• Like 1

Cabinets are designed and dimensioned using the face frame for obvious reasons. Building with the face frame down on the table basically makes the frame an assembly jig holding the box square as you build. The weight of the box is enough pressure to hold the frame to the box for glue during assembly. Generally the frames are pre finished as are the box parts so that there is no need to mess with spraying a completed cabinet assembly.

Good job, looks great.

• Like 1

Right on the hook. That # 80 is a cool tool. I have three of them from ebay. I was thinking of the Veritas tool as being faster than the burnishing rod and the SB-1 and maybe a little user friendlier. Seems like every time I order from Lee Valley and pay the freight, there's always something else I see or hear about, then place another order. Thanks again. I believe I'm going to try it.