You've won the wood lottery..

Brendon_t

I like the look and feel of walnut but if I'm getting a lifetime supply for free and only get to choose one, for sure I'm going with something more expensive and exotic.  Wdwrker hit one nail on the head with the suggestion of Honduran Mahogany.  Cuban Mahogany (virtually impossible to get anymore) might be another option.  Maybe some really nice Ebony would be a consideration as well.

Of those three I'd probably go with with the H. Mahogany.

I like the look and feel of walnut but if I'm getting a lifetime supply for free and only get to choose one, for sure I'm going with something more expensive and exotic...Honduran Mahogany.

Walnut is the more expensive of the two at my yard at the moment. :unsure:

But you do make a good point...while we're in fantasy land you might as well stock me up with a lifetime supply of curly koa.

Walnut is the more expensive of the two at my yard at the moment. :unsure:

But you do make a good point...while we're in fantasy land you might as well stock me up with a lifetime supply of curly koa.

that sounds like a delicious cereal.

Prices as of yesterday.

4/4 walnut $6.71

8/8 6.93

H. Mahogany

4/4 13.97

8/4 14.02

Are those prices for rough or surfaced, Brendan?

That's crazy talk for the mahogany.

Ours are:

4/4 walnut: 7.90

8/4: 10.75

(S3S)...rough is slightly cheaper...only 5/4 available in rough

H.M.

4/4: 7.50

8/4: 8.50

Yeah tell me about it. Welcome to California, where no trees grow domestically. .

Those prices are rough (ish) they are HoM planed one side and straight line ripped one edge.

I have three options for lumber around me.

The most expensive is the woodworking stores (I put rockler and woodcraft in the same boat here. Both are over an hour away.

Middle ground is a hardwood and stone dealer about ten minutes away. They keep about 500bf on hand of a lot of common woods. Some small exotic piles, and a lot of ply. They will also cut boards in half or thirds for you so you don't have to buy what you don't need.

Pricing out Roubo bench matl was about $700 Here

The cheapest place is Bonhoff lumber in LA. About an hour away. Great people, All rough lumber, you can pick through piles of a thousand our more bf of about Any wood, thickness, grade. The traffic is terrible getting there and not worth it for small buys. Big orders though, yes sir. Bench matl here was just north of $500.