You've won the wood lottery..

Brendon_t

XYZ lumber in BFE America has chosen you as the grand prize winner for their lifetime of wood drawing. They will supply you with as much of whatever wood you choose for life.

You can only choose one wood and your selection is locked in for life.

What do you choose?

Personally, I choose walnut. I know it's not the prettiest wood that exists, I know it is not extremely expensive, but for me, walnut is one wood that I never tire of working with. Building with. Finishing. I think an initial order of 1,000 bf 4/4 and 400 8/4 should get me going.

Brendon, I like walnut too.  I like seeing things made out of walnut.  The texture and shades in the wood.  But I am afraid that if I had to make everything out of walnut the interior of the house would start to feel dark.  So based on that I would probably go with cherry. 

Anything already mentioned. If you can make items from Cherry, Walnut, Oak or Maple that will bring an income, then you can barter or sell to purchase other options. Each has a niche to fill if you can get your work to people who want it. Oak would be my preference if there is a learning curve because it heats well in the fire box. (Only partially kidding)

Walnut...easy choice...don't even have to think about it.  The warmth, character, and richness of the wood has no rival.  And it's a joy to work with.  Second would be genuine mahogany, and a distant third, cherry.  I love a lot of woods, but many of them are what I consider "novelty" woods...good for certain projects but not so good for others.  Figured maples would be in this category, and a lot of exotics.  You can build anything out of walnut and it'll look good.

• Like 1

I'd say English walnut.  I never seem to find as much nice English walnut in stock as I'd like.  I like black walnut as well but it seems pretty easy to come by, here in the mid Atlantic region at least.

Butternut is pretty easy to come by here as well.  I like it for sound boards on some of my instruments, but it wouldn't be my first choice as a primary wood to use.

I am not sure how my perspective will change on this after my move to Florida.  Since my wife still will have family here that she will want to visit, I can stock up now and then when I travel back for that.