Outdoor b-ball bench

wtnhighlander

More progress this afternoon. My benchtop drill press doesn't have the stroke to bore through these pieces, so I used it to establish a straight guide hole, and finished with my hand drill.

9850fe4cdbfa3b30e5a16bfc5f6cbd06.jpg

This is the first chance I've had to play with my latest woodworking toy.

3ce592ffe2e0fae987680fbb9b0f51a8.jpg

Junior's favorite tool is a hammer, so he helped me drive sticks through my home made dowel sizing plate. Using 1/2" dowels to pin the seat and legs together.

0ae50f01066030ec64ebf571213f9070.jpg

All the edges are rounded now. The bench is dry fitted with clamps, waiting for me to glue it up.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Now, how about some advice?

TB III, or epoxy for the glue-up? All I can find locally in a clear epoxy is the quick set (5 minute) variety. I am concerned that I will run into trouble with these tight-fitting dowel joints at such a short working time. Is Titebond 3 up to its claims for outdoor use? Or would I be better off to order some slow-set epoxy?

If you go the west systems route, buy the $20 pumps. They make life a million times easier. Use the 'slow' hardener unless you like doing your glue ups to Benny Hill music. :)

After perusing the WS webpage, I use epoxy and their fairing fillers all over the house now for various jobs. Plus, I like any product that describes their viscosity as 'Catsup, Mayo, and Peanut Butter'.

After perusing the WS webpage, I use epoxy and their fairing fillers all over the house now for various jobs. Plus, I like any product that describes their viscosity as 'Catsup, Mayo, and Peanut Butter'.

That could go disastrous. . I'm always running out of catsup and pb (not Particle Board) in my house

If you go the west systems route, buy the $20 pumps. They make life a million times easier. Use the 'slow' hardener unless you like doing your glue ups to Benny Hill music. :)

All good advice from Vinny on the WS stuff!  

I just bought a new batch of it yesterday and notice that it has come down a bit in price.  You'll still get sticker shock but, it's better than it was!

This is one item to bring in from the cold!  Doing so will give you a couple years worth of shelf life.

Ok, since popular opinionnsaid go with epoxy, and since I'm too cheap to buy the nice West Systems setup, I started doing the glue-up with the Devcon quick-set epoxy. One joint at a time....

Three minutes of Benny Hill, followed by 10 minutes of Jay Bates eating a sandwich.

Per joint.

6 down, 16 more to go ..... I'll toss in a photo of the chaos later.

... as promised:

98ac968b86ea3f972a8ab76d73770546.jpg

Ok, since popular opinionnsaid go with epoxy, and since I'm too cheap to buy the nice West Systems setup, I started doing the glue-up with the Devcon quick-set epoxy. One joint at a time....

Three minutes of Benny Hill, followed by 10 minutes of Jay Bates eating a sandwich.

Per joint.

6 down, 16 more to go ..... I'll toss in a photo of the chaos later.

Well, that certainly works!  :P