Shop build (I hope)

Jim DaddyO

Wow, what a day.  The guys I hired were champs and got a lot more of the roof done than I thought.  The gables got sheathed, the ladders for the eaves on the gable ends are in, all the rafter tails are trimmed, the fascia is all on with nice mitred corners, half the roof is sheathed and shingled with drip edge and ice/water shield put down first.  I fed the lads a good lunch and after we packed up for the day, a special treat.  Nectar of the Gods.  A short day tomorrow ought to finish the roof.

DSC_7961_zpsnpdhffql.jpg

DSC_7962_zpsek0eiyzn.jpg

DSC_7967_zpsoduldraf.jpg

They got it all done today.  I am dead tired.  Now I can have the rest of the day off.  My material order was very close.  There is only a wee bit of cut off to dispose of.  We fed the guys lunch and I am very happy with the results.  I had one of the guys take my camera up and snap a few pics.  I did get up high enough to peek over....had a death grip on the ladder though!

DSC_7969_zpscatmgoid.jpg

DSC_7973_zpsgisyc0op.jpg

DSC_7976_zpsbe7erwws.jpg

• Like 1

I have the bottom 3' covered with ice/water shield.  They usually do a felt under the rest, but I did not in this case.  I bought inexpensive 25 year shingles.  At 54 I am not sure I will be needing it after that time, but will just get it re shingled if I do.  Or, just go over the shingle with metal.  I figured if I had to spare something on the tight budget, I would do it in a place that is readily accessible and could be fixed in a rather short time.

Just curious? Around here it is customary to put felt paper down before applying the shingles. Shop looks great and lunch looks even better.

Just an FYI, we have moved to synthetic almost entirely. While the roll seems more expensive, it can come at five feet width and covers more footage at a faster rate. The higher footage makes it cheaper with the installation ease as a bonus. It can be much easier to walk at steep pitches as well, especially wet. The right synthetic grips well after a rain shower while felt paper will not until it is dry.

• Like 1

A bit more done today.  I did some of the house wrap, preparing to put in windows, of course the staple gun died right near the end of the job.  So, I put one of my lights up on the ceiling.  They are in the way of painting the floor.  They will also have to come down for insulation and sheathing, but I want to get the electric all done and signed off before I start that job. 

DSC_7983_zpsjzrpowfc.jpg

DSC_7985_zpsgcnzxtew.jpg

DSC_7987_zps8wju1pv1.jpg