Shop build (I hope)

Jim DaddyO

I am still waiting on permission from the conservation authority for my new shop build.  I have picked out a spot and will start to level it as soon as they give me the thumbs up.  This is their busiest time of year, overseeing commercial dredging and checking things now that the ice is gone but I am still hoping I hear back soon.  I had the spot marked out, but the grass has grown a bit and I had to re mark it.  I think the view out the windows will be nice too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeGbDPOJID0

I had stakes in the ground.....it works well until the dog starts wandering around them and getting tangled up...lol!

BTW, the town is already OK with the building permit, I have the material costed out for the structure, so I am just waiting on this last hurdle.

I am in south western Ontario, Canada.  About an hours drive north of London.  Not many loons out this way, but I grew up in the mid-north near Sudbury and it is one of the things I miss.  I have 4 or 5 ceramic loons in the house. 

The river view changes dramatically through the year.  The geese are sitting on their nests right now.  Being the middle of farm country, it is not a place you would want to swim.  Lots of run off from the fields.  This is the upper reaches of the Bayfield river not many miles upstream it is just a drainage ditch.  

This time of year is the busiest for the conservation authority.  Dredging for commercial vessels in the harbours, spring run off, and the whole area waking up after a long winter and wanting to get projects (like mine) done.  

• 2 weeks later...

The conservation authority won't let me build how I want.  Some pencil pushing petty functionary with a clip board decided that it is "new development" instead of the replacement for the old shed that it is.  After talking to the town engineer I am on a new tack.  Rebuilding the old shed into something functional and I am going to put an 8 x 12 addition on to it which does not require a building permit, therefore no conservation authority involvement.  You can keep up on my blog here  http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/  and you can also keep up at my You Tube channel.  Here is the first load of wood coming in  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0It4nQtRHs.  I could use some subscribers and thumbs up too...lol.  I am just starting out on making content for You Tube, learning as I go.

I am getting started slowly on the build.  A few of the materials delivered and starting from the bottom up (like every other job besides digging a hole).  Working with long 6 x 6 PT timbers alone takes some time, and some resting too...lol.  Good thing I have all summer.

Well, 2 nails out of each end of the boards that go to the corner across the back wall, and a few small nails that held the OSB to the corner, a half hearted push and....

DSC_7805_zpsec0enwqf.jpg

On the other hand I have all my base cut, and all my floor joists cut and have put end cut treatment on all the cut ends and it looks like the saw horses I made years ago are still plenty strong.

DSC_7802_zps6juhrthk.jpg

Don't forget to check out my blog (these photo's aren't even there yet as of this writing)....

http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/