Brad nailer safety

Chicirda

Just purchased a brad nailer and air compression tank.

I got a tank that is a bit bigger than what I needed, because I wanted to use the tank for other things in the future like painting and finishing. But the tank is the proper PSI for the tool. Having a little trouble with the CFM, however. Seems I don't need much, but my tank offers a lot. (4.0 @ 90 psi).

Two questions:

1. Can the tank have too much CFM? (The PSI is in the proper range)

2. I tested the tool out for the first time today and I saw a spark when nailing a scrap board. Is this normal? (This is what got me thinking about CFM in the first place.).

Thanks

The occasional spark is normal. Nails can have inclusions that will spark when struck. Your question about CFM is off. This is the rate at which the compressor recovers air. You want to match the PSI with the PSI range your tool calls for. If you do not know how to do that, post a pic of your controls and we can walk you through it.

I leave the pressure in the tank to save time the next time I use it, if everything is well sealed you can hook up a hose and air up a tire in less time than it would take it to fill

And to use that pressure to blow the moisture out of the tank, if that thought ever crosses your mind.

Seldom does for me.

There are several other safety issues for new users to air nailers. Like.

You have to adjust the air pressure to accommodate the length of nail(short =less pressure) soft verses hard woods.

Plus this is real important keep your off hand well away from where you are shooting nails, they can shoot right through the piece or hit a hard spot and make a right hand turn

I keep the female connector, with the knurled slip sleeve on the hose.  All my nailers have the little male part.  Some air comes out of the gun, but nothing like a hose full.  One of my hose reels was new in 1974. The swivel mechanism is nothing but 3/8" disconnect fittings.  It gets used almost daily, and I've replaced the coupler once in all that time.  It holds 200 feet of 3/8 hose.  I wish they still made them.