Adjust planer cut depth

daddyman77802

I recently purchased a Craftsman 12" bench planer. I have been practicing cutting corner splines for small keepsake boxes and was going to use my planer to get the splines to final size. I set the planer depth to 1/4" to start milling down a piece of walnut. After I ran it through, I measured it and found my planer measuring gauge is 1/8" off. Is there a way to adjust this? I can not find any instructions in the manual.

What was the thickness of the wood when you sent it through the planer the first time?   I hope it was close to 1/4 to start with!  If you try to remove to much at one time, there's no telling the problems that will develop.  Don't rely on the gauge till you measure the wood each and every time, and when it reaches the number you've chosen. look at your pointer and see what you need to do to get it where your wood now is.  Loosen a screw, bend the pointer, or just depend on the ruler in your hand!

I just looked up the 12" craftsman planer... They show 2 gauges.. #1 is clear with 2 screws #2 is red with one screw.....Which do you have?..   Run a piece of wood through the planer till you get an exact thickness by using your ruler... Then with the clear gauge loosen the 2 screws and see if it will move to match what you measured with your hand ruler. If it moves set it and tighten the screws... If it's the red one, it appears to be metal, do the same thing, then if it won't adjust to the measured piece.. then carefully bend the pointer to where it matches your planed piece of wood.

Mostly I don't worry about exact thickness, so long as all the relevant pieces are run through on the same setting.

But he was talking about corner splines so the thickness is more important to make a good joint.  So in general that is a good point, but he was using it in such a way that he needs to match some cut dimension.  

Still probably best to start off at near the size of the piece being cut and work down until it fits nicely with that cut width of what ever he is using to cut the slots for his splines,