Fishing Net Build

davewyo

Thanks D!

Truth be told, the second one is pretty good. But it isn't as flashy and exotic as I was wanting. Plus my wife likes it because it has a slim handle and is understated, so it's probably not mine.
The others have slight defects (overly visible glue lines, blotching). The defects are not super noticeable but they are there for a woodworker to see.

42 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Dave, you're getting darn good at this. The last one is exceptionally nice but all are keepers. Speaking of keepers, we'd like to see an action shot with that thing coming out of the water, loaded!

39 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Dave these are incredible.  I second the request for the action shot!

Thanks Guys. I will get you that footage sometime in May or June. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks gang! I enjoyed making these things. It was quite different than making furniture or the boxes I usually make.

It was a trick to get the lamination clamped up in the jig without any gaps. I think I might use a transparent material like polycarbonate for the base if I was to make another jig. Being able to see the underside during glue up would be helpful.

6 hours ago, shaneymack said:

They all look really good Dave. I particularly like the bocote one. How do you like working with bocote? Must be a very expensive wood?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah it is fairly pricey Shane. I haven't done the math to see the board/foot cost but it's up there. Bocote is my favorite exotic that I've worked with so far. The color and grain can be very distinctive. It is dense and cuts well. I'm not milling through much so I don't notice any appreciable dulling of my blades. It can splinter and tear out like any exotic in the 2000-3000 janka range but the usual precautions help a lot.

That reminds me...the epifanes and the gun stock oil I used as finishes for the Bocote did not dry well. After 24-48 hrs. it was still ever so slightly sticky. Especially on the black colored grain. With the gun stock oil I sanded back to almost bare wood, let it thoroughly dry, and then the second coat cured up nicely. With the epifanes I sanded it back and put on a seal coat of thinned dewaxed shellac. That fixed the problem and the next coat of varnish cured normally.

3 hours ago, Chet K. said:

I like the traditional look of the walnut and curly maple.

Dave are those the soft nets that the catch and release guys use?

Yeah Chet, they are those soft rubber nets. I've not used one before but I suspect it will be better on the fish and will stop me from hooking my net so often. When you net the fish and take the tension off they can often spit out the fly. Then it promptly hooks through the nylon of my old fashioned style net bag.

• Like 1