Fishing Net Build

davewyo

Thanks Kev!

Earlier you were asking for an opinion on the Earlex steam generator. I've used it five times now and I'm pretty happy with it. It came with everything I needed to get it up and running on a steam box. If you fill it with hot tap water it starts generating steam in about 10-15 minutes. It can easily handle the steam box I made which was constructed from common 1"x4" and 1"x6" pine, 72" long with dowels installed within to keep the wood to be steamed suspended off the bottom. Basically I copied a plan from Rockler. The steam generator operates for an hour and a half, and then some, on one filling. The only difficulty I have found is it is slightly difficult to drain any unused water that remains in the reservoir after you're done steaming.

• Like 1

Very nice Dave! Once you have enough fishing nets, you can make a couple squash raquets. Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

No kidding Shane! Once the jig is built there isn't much to it to batch out as many nets as you want. I think I have one more net in me, and then I'll retire the jig to a nail on the wall of my shop. I can give away two nets and keep the prettiest one, or the one with the least "errors", for myself.

It occurs to me after doing the "Holiday Shuffle" with my wife yesterday that these could easily sell at Arts Fairs around here if someone wanted. A lot of fishing enthusiasts would like a custom net and it doesn't take all that long, man hour wise, to put one together.  :)

• Like 1

Thanks Daniel!

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

Great job, Dave!  Let me know when you finish mine and I'll PM you my address.  I'm heading down to the North Fork of the White River in about a month and I'll test these out for you...no charge.  Deal?  Thanks buddy!

Sounds like a plan Eric. Ummm...You won't get any fish slime on the finish, right?

Absolutely Ross.

You start by attaching the cord to one of the net loops with an improved clinch knot and you thread through the first hole at the base on one side of the hoop.

http://IMG_1361_zpsldvvoa67.jpg

Then along the outside of the groove and into the next hole.

http://IMG_1359_zpsbcjoosdm.jpg

Through the second loop of the net bag and out the same hole.

http://IMG_1360_zpssyyoac7l.jpg

Keeping the cord under tension you work all the way around. The final knot is basically a half hitch.

I followed this video which, while helpful, may be the most boring Youtube video ever produced.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. Yeah, I've been mulling over the species I'll use for the third net. I've seen some that were made with curly Maple, so it can be done. But I understand what you mean. I used flame Birch on the second net and the end grain of figure gets super fragile when steamed.

Paduak sounds like it would be beautiful, but with all the UV a net would get I would plan for significant color change.

I was hoping to use a few strips of some exotic that I have on hand but it takes a surprising amount of length (50-60") to make a net. I have some Zebrawood, some Chechen, some Bubinga, and some curly Maple but most of that was purchased with small boxes in mind and so its not much over 40" long. I have some Goncalo Alves but, like the Marblewood I used, I don't think that would look all that good. Not enough contrast.

I may have to bite the bullet and order in some longer stock. Or...I like the contrast of the walnut and maple, so I may go with that. The other consideration is weight. You kind of want a hand net to be light as possible. I've seen where some net makers sculpt the handle to make it slimmer. I may try some of that.  I'm mainly making this final net to try and eliminate some of the mistakes made earlier, and try out some skills/tricks which I've developed to possibly make things easier.

Thanks all!

I wanted to add a few things about the finish.

I used Epifanes Clear (High Gloss) Varnish for the UV protection. Epifanes provides a detailed finishing schedule ( pp. 3-4 of this doc.) covering thinning, drying times, and sanding levels, which I found extremely helpful as a base line. I followed it,except for thinning slightly more and sanding to 800. Out of the can, the varnish was thick; somewhere between maple syrup and molasses. I thinned about 60% to start. It was important to maintain a wet edge and have just the right amount of finish in the brush. The surface didn't look good until I got something like 5 coats on. Ya gotta wait for it.  Once I had the grain filled, subsequent coats looked very good indeed. The high gloss I used is super clear. I thought it appropriate for this application but I wouldn't normally use it. It's fairly expensive, but not as much as some finishes. It popped the figure in the walnut very well, and brings out a wonderful depth to the grain. I am completely happy with the look, but it was a challenge to apply an unblemished final coat. True Oil "gun stock" finish could be an alternative.

I tried a new method for putting the groove on the third net. This time I set up a slot cutter in the router table buried in a home made "fence".

http://IMG_1363_zpsz4fuhaqy.jpg

The results, though perhaps less attractive, are more like what a production net would have and should protect the cord that holds the net bag better.

http://IMG_1372_zpswbvugyv4.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Ross! That type of fence set up wasn't my idea; I saw it somewhere on the interwebs.

You're right. When I sand the groove I can see if it needs something more. The beauty of the scratch stock is the ability to create your own profiles. The edges of the hoop get rounded a fair amount, and that will effect the look of the groove too.