Which SCMS?

socoj2

I had a Makita 12" and was never happy with it, replaced it with a Bosch 10" glider a few months ago and it's awesome. The Bosch is the smoothest SCMS I have used and was square right out of the box. Dust collection wasn't too bad but I did add a small piece of rubber to the bottom of the pick up tube and it made a big difference difference, the pic is from before it was added.

Give us a pic of the mod.  Might be helpful for someone in the future.

Sending it to Bosch might be a good idea, also.

• Like 1

Give us a pic of the mod.  Might be helpful for someone in the future.

Sending it to Bosch might be a good idea, also.

Quoting from Just Bob in a similar thread:

Compared to the Dewalt I replaced, the Bosch was leaps and bounds better.  But when I was able to find a permanent home for the saw and set up with a vac I was not pleased with the amount of dust left behind.  I did a little research, watched a couple of Kapex videos and realized that one major difference was that the rubber flap on the dc intake extended to the work piece.  I took the flap off my tile saw and riveted it to the Bosch and that simple fix solved 95% of the problem. post-16772-0-95574300-1434125568_thumb.j

In the second picture, (it is kind of hard to see) there is a gap between the intake and guard pivot.  Sawdust escapes through this gap.  I just need to cover that gap and  I think I will the dc problem mostly solved.  post-16772-0-93856900-1434125786_thumb.j

I will take a pic this weekend, the shop is 8 miles from my house, it's been a busy week and I haven't made it over there.

It's similar to what Daniel posted except I didn't rivet it on, mine is inserted between the plastic dust chute and the rubber flap that comes on the saw and just extends the flap. I mainly cut 3/4 material so I trimmed it so the saw will still slide for 3/4. I can thicker material as long as I don't have to slide the saw. If you have to slide the flap will get in the way so I just remove it, make the cut and reinstall.

do you have a pic with it on there? I am curious 

I really like the Bosch, but all those moving parts on the arm scare me for longevity 

I had a Makita 12" and was never happy with it, replaced it with a Bosch 10" glider a few months ago and it's awesome. The Bosch is the smoothest SCMS I have used and was square right out of the box. Dust collection wasn't too bad but I did add a small piece of rubber to the bottom of the pick up tube and it made a big difference difference, the pic is from before it was added.

image.jpeg

I've had the Bosch since it came out. It's as accurate as the day I set it up. The knuckles on the arms have user adjustable tension, something slide rails & bearings do not. I think the Bosch arms will have better longevity.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 8:27 PM, bushwacked said:

well that is a thing of beauty! so simple and easy. I am curious if he will respond and let us know if he covered the gaps and how that helped or didnt help.

I know this is late.  Got hammered by work and life,  so tonight it the first time I've been on the forum for over a month.  No I haven't covered the gaps, but  the DC  is good enough that after the day is done, I just clean up the left over sawdust to get ready for the next day.  I don't believe that any SCMS is going to be perfect.